--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey, Larkin is the one who touts the value of "common sense". Then he gets it completely wrong because of it.

That is a valuable lesson which only some will appreciate. Certainly not Larkin and apparently not you.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

The connection between eigenvectors and normal modes is a key one. Learning it in linear algebra first is a huge help in learning PDEs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You showed me that some years ago, when we did the liquid metal thing. But it's still boggling. What happens exactly behind the sphere? Light spot? Dark spot? Edge diffraction? Limiting case.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Sounds like a fancy name for dithering. I used to do that to make a really bad 6-bit ADC do street-legal electrical metering. I used a triangle instead of noise; that has some virtues.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

There's a shadow, but in scattering theory you compute the distribution at infinity, where the shadow is infinitesimal. In wave optics things are different--you get diffraction rings and Poisson's spot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah. You have to be willing to give up a major fraction of the ADC's range to the dither, though--a few LSBs won't fix it. Of course modern architectures don't seem to have the huge DNL glitch at the major carry (half scale) that lots of old ones did.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My metering ADC was single-slope, with a uP timer. So it had near perfect differential linearity, and didn't need a lot of dither.

There's a cute trick used in scintillator pulse-height spectroscopy. Single-slopes have excellent differential linearity but are slow. So use a DAC to add a random analog offset ahead of a fast ADC. Dither a bunch of bits, like 10% of full scale. After the ADC, subtract out the DAC code. That makes the histogram bins pretty much exactly equal.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Awesome! (Maybe you've had some better, 'standing at white board sex' than me... I'm jealous. :^)

A lot of my memorable times are sitting in a bar or restaurant, after a conference day. And it's almost always with my peers, so grad students and/or post docs*. Someone saw/understood some new thing at a talk, and wants to apply it to our research. Wild ideas fly about and even if nothing new comes out of it, it is intellectually stimulating.

George H.

*there's something about a sense of equality, that let's everyone share their silly ideas... have them get shot down for 'real' physics reasons. And not take offence, but they/we learn something. Everyone gets to skate at the edge of their own understanding. It takes the right group too, (no pissing contests) which might favor small numbers.
Reply to
George Herold

You're the one that took a perfectly good technical thread and barfed your bile on it, apparently out of pure spite. That makes you a moron.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That is an interesting response. It was a simple observation of the inconsistencies of Larkin's "common sense" approach until you responded with *your* bile.

Larkin is very good at invading threads and changing topics, then even criticizing others for exactly that. Yet you only jump to his defense and never call him on it.

Please spare me.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Phil Hobbs makes money out of collaborating with John Larkin - collaborating with an egomaniac isn't easy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I think the idea of a field is the difficult one. Maxwell's is the important application of it here, but it's not difficult once you know what a field is.

It needs to be taught by expanding dimensions. We all do graphs at school (e.g. how many infected with COVID against time, etc). Some would do graphs in two dimensions. Few schools if any expand that to three dimensions, because there's no good way to depict them visually. As a result, students don't have a visual (or other!) metaphor for starting to understand fields, and so find Maxwell hard.

That's my take on it anyhow.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

-------------------

** I was unaware of that - explains a lot of the crap going on here.

So Hobbs is not just an arrogant prick Septic, he's a paid c*ck-sucker too.

Maybe they need to get a room....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Also, that article relies on some basic fallacies. The most obvious one is this:

"the capacity to learn that language is a human instinct, something that every normal human child is born with, and that no chimpanzee or gorilla possesses."

Clearly false, since there are chimps who have been taught complex sign language (hundreds of words), who converse. and who invent new words and teach their children to do the same. A rather strange error for a "Professor of Cognitive Biology" to have made.

Cats don't need to be taught to hunt - but they do need to be taught

*how* to hunt. People don't need to be taught to invent - but they can be taught *how* to invent.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

We did work with one big semi manufacturer together once, me as an equipment provider and he as a consultant to them. We haven't done much else except help one another and share information. We are complementary in that I have a lot of crazy ideas and he has the math skills to shoot them down.

He did help me recently with my triggered Colpitts oscillator. I've shared measurements on phemts and things.

Both our wives are called Mo.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

The concept of having friends must be new to you, Phil, but do try to get your head around it.

JL and I are friends and occasional collaborators, and we send business each other's way sometimes. Our wives are friends too. John helped me out during a thin patch when I was a new consultant, but money hasn't changed hands between us in almost a decade.

And I'm not an American. I find it funny that Aussies think that their own primitive plumbing somehow constitutes a deadly insult to Americans.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

..

t.

That's a rather controversial claim. Quite a few people are less than satis fied with the evidence which was bought forward to support it. Whatever it is that chimps do, they do it a lot less well than humans, though it does s eem that the human capacity invent and learn languages is just a more highl y developed version of the system that most of the more highly evolved vert ebrates have.

It's not an error. More an expression of practical reality.

Human language acquisition is mostly working out how everybody in the immed iate vicinity uses language. The way you listen to language is heavily infl uenced by the language (or languages) you heard when you were an infant. Th e first six months are devoted to learning which features you can ignore.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've met and like several people who post here. Speff, James, Joerg, you. People who actually design electronics seem to get along for some reason. People who don't, less so.

But James is weird. He skis in short pants.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

** That is neither or speaking or conversing.

(hundreds of words), who converse.

** Utter bullshit.

Maybe your brain is more ape like than human.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison