250A - 500A "analog" pulser, rev a2.3

I've finished a 3rd rev of my RIS-796A "analog" fast pulsed current source. This beast can be programmed with all kinds of waveforms, over a 100:1 range of currents, up to 500 amps, and turned on or off in about 1us. After a rapid shutoff, an instantaneous junction temp can be measured with a 10mA current source. If the test is repeated with varying ON durations, a plot of Tj vs time can be made.

Before ordering a batch of PCBs, I'm posting the design info, looking for your comments.

Schematic:

PCB views:

background info, folder of various files:

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Another way to get a lot of current is to use a transformer.

That's rated 190 amps, but it's good for a lot more at low duty cycle. I think it's from an old AM station, filaments. I paid $15 for it at a surplus place in San Carlos, back when there were surplus places.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

I've added an updated writeup on version a2.3

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

You could mount bike handles to each side and probably get a great upper-body workout huffing that piece up and down.

Reply to
bitrex

I have a young engineer who works out. He does my heavy lifting.

Like my 11802 scope. Damned thing must weigh 70 pounds. Miguel muscles that one for me.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Is that still a valuable instrument in 2020? its sampling memory must be tiny.

Reply to
bitrex

It's fabulous. The 20 GHz TDR is wonderful, and I have a 50 GHz sampling head. And a dual-channel probe sampler: 3 GHz, 0.25 pF at the probe tips.

The memory is whatever's on the screen.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

OK, I learned that although Word won't accept .eps files, showing it as blank, you can convert them to .eml files, and thereby retain vector resolution in your final .pdf file. Good to know.

So I've replaced the writeup with a new copy having an embedded readable expandable schematic. Same link.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I lucked into a cheap Tek 7904 with the 7S12 (S-53 & S-6) TDR plugin. It's supposed to be about 25/30ps. Not as good as the 11802 at

Reply to
Clifford Heath