Yet another new battery breakthrough

No price tag

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Martin Griffith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Indeed. Sounds pricey and will be controversial despite the design.

--Damon

Reply to
Damon Hill

Yep. I smell a price tag of around $75K to $100K.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I think that is low, if you take 200kW times $0.05/kWH times

40 years(in hours).
--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

What is the radioactive material content? How secure is the device against theft or breakage?

Reply to
Richard Henry

You are correct. I mistakenly used my own consumption over 40 years to do the calculation ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Dunno, the bittorrent of the schmatics/specs haven't been leaked to ThePirateBay yet. Just hope it's better than Sony LiOn laptop batteries

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Not if made in China and bought at Walmart.

Reply to
Meat Plow

My nose must be MUCH more sensitive than yours. :) I would go AT LEAST a factor of 10 higher than that. Just think what the licensing and insurance will run ya'. Hell, for 75K you could buy one and sell power to the utility. The average housing development could install their own power generation system at those price levels. If one could be had for those prices, I'll bet they will sell like radioactive hot cakes.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I sure hope nothing breaks or corrodes and leaks into the groundwater. That would be bad. MTBE from leaking gas station storage tanks are bad enough.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yeah, the big agri-industry pushed MBTE on us, now they're pushing ethanol. Too much corn if you ask me.

MTBE took a couple of millisex, .....

Wonder if end of life disposal is included in the purchase price?

What other things to spec in the purchase order?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

MTBE was pushed by the oil refineries, since they could produce it cheaply from the petroleum feedstocks they already had and thus would not need to buy any ethanol from the agri-business boys. The original requirement to include ethanol to improve performance and reduce emissions was rewritten due to big oil lobbying (also spelled $$$$) to allow other oxygenating compaounds such as MTBE to be used. Besides both being effective oxygenators, ethanol and MTBE share another important characteristic: they dissolve easily in water. However, if the groundwater was being tainted with ehtanol, no one would be complaining - they'd be pumping it up and bottling it.

Reply to
Richard Henry

There's no way something like this will ever be 'local' in the manner of CHP systems. Terrorists would love thousands of these scattered through our nations. Is each one going to come with a small army to protect it?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

One has to remember that this is just the REACTOR,and not the heat- exchangers and generators necessary to convert the heat to electricity.

They left out a lot of details.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

no security,no protection against vehicles or aircraft crashing into it(intentionally or accidentally),no containment dome.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

This is *not* going to happen.

John

Martin Griffith hath wroth:

No useful data also. This thing smells like a fabrication.

The terms in the article are also fishy. Nuclear reactors do not use control rods for anything other than emergency shutdown. Certainly not to "initiate" the chain reaction, whatever that means.

Li6 is rare (7.5% of all Li) and expensive. It's also subject to spontaneous combustion in air. Lithium melts at 1300C, which I guess is a liquid.

Also, small nuclear reactors seem to be quite fashionable now that energy costs are climbing:

I wanted drop a lump of passivated hot nuclear waste into a water heater to help keep it warm. It won't solve the energy problem, but it does get rid of some waste, while heating the hot tub.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I see Nanosolar has started production, at last, and have allegedly sold the first years production already

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

A strange meaning for "get rid of".