Map showing various names for creeks/streams/runs in the USA

Off topic....

I was driving through Washington state a couple years ago (near the ocean) and saw signs for muddy inlets called "sloughs". I had never heard that na me and started looking into it and then I came across this map that shows a ll the various names for (mostly small) waterways in the USA.

Creek is kind of the assumed name and not really shown on the map. The unu sual name I am familiar with living in MI and OH is "run". We also have "d rains" that are not mentioned on this map

Brent Locher

A slough is more like a very large ditch than like a stream. You find them in river deltas especially.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs (from Vancouver BC, where we know about deltas)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

an) and saw signs for muddy inlets called "sloughs". I had never heard that name and started looking into it and then I came across this map that show s all the various names for (mostly small) waterways in the USA.

unusual name I am familiar with living in MI and OH is "run". We also have "drains" that are not mentioned on this map

.png

You need to be careful of using the term "ditch". In North Carolina I kaya ked in "ditches" that we called canals. One was the access to the Great Di smal Swamp in Lake Drummond. In looking it up just now, a web page makes t he point that Lake Drummond (miles across) is a lake on top of a hill as it is the highest point in the Great Dismal Swamp! Now that I think about i t we did have to cross a lock to enter the lake.

The first "ditch" we paddled was the Intracoastal Waterway with large power boats. So not what anyone would normally call a ditch.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Also, Slough is a town in the UK, at one time with the the largest industrial estate in Europe. It was the setting for the original UK version of the TV comedy 'The Office' and was derided by John Betjeman in his eponymous poem...

I went there once, but it was closed.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Also, Slough is a town in the UK, at one time with the the largest industrial estate in Europe. It was the setting for the original UK version of the TV comedy 'The Office' and was derided by John Betjeman in his eponymous poem...

I went there once, but it was closed.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You had a narrow escape.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Don't forget "kills" and "burns".

Suddenly, the idea of "50" words for "snow" doesn't seem so outrageous!

Reply to
Don Y

The map does show "kill". It is pretty contained to NY state just north of NYC to Albany. It does not look to extend into MA or CT.....pretty much a NY thing.

Reply to
Brent Locher

Maybe that is what Catskills is about?

Reply to
Brent Locher

"kil" is "creek" in Dutch:

Reply to
bitrex

It was originally New Amsterdam after all.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Don't forget "kills" and "burns".

You have to look at how each region was settled in order to understand why certain language features were adopted (locally). Amusingly, a good deal of US language is closer to its historic origins than *those* origins have remained.

In school (folks from around the country/world), it was common to explore regional/country language differences. E.g., most folks were clueless when I'd refer to a "packie". And, of course "soda" vs. "pop" vs. "tonic" vs. "seltzer". Or, "milk shake" vs. "frappe".

Reply to
Don Y

And then there are bayous.

Reply to
John S

) and saw signs for muddy inlets called "sloughs". I had never heard that n ame and started looking into it and then I came across this map that shows all the various names for (mostly small) waterways in the USA.

usual name I am familiar with living in MI and OH is "run". We also have "d rains" that are not mentioned on this map

ng

A slough is stagnant water whereas a creek is moving:

Flyguy