Magnum Musa

I hate it when the longitudinal stringy bits separate from a freshly peeled banana and get in your mouth.

Merry Christmas Robin

Reply to
Robin

Domestic, cultivated bananas don't have seeds. There are wild bananas that do, but they're dying out.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Some sometimes do, but it's very rare.

John

which brings to mind, how was the first banana ever started? from what i understand they do not start from seeds, the little once are pulled up form there roots as the base of a adult banana tree which i guess starts them from there roots and is transported to another location and replanted. now since they have no seeds that can be used how was the first banana tree ever started ? also its been stated before that a banana is not one of mother natures native fruits, but was created long ago by those that we have very little knowledge about. life is strange , what came first ? the seed or the fruit ? :))

Reply to
Jamie

Banana: one of the few things in nature with trilateral symmetry. Carefully pierce the apex with your tongue, and three sections will separate.

Cheers, James

Reply to
James Arthur

I read in sci.electronics.design that James Arthur wrote (in ) about 'Magnum Musa', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

Lots of plants have trilateral symmetry, but very few animals indeed. There may even be more species of animals with pentalateral symmetry (starfish and sea-urchins, for example).

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jamie wrote (in ) about 'Magnum Musa', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

We may get a really authoritative input from a Caribean guru, but basically, natural bananas (of several species and varieties) have many seeds, which make them unpalatable to eat, and some can't be eaten without being cooked. Natural sports with few seeds were selectively bred until no cultivated banana now produces viable seed. The yellow banana ('fig') is indeed quite unnatural, but then so are cultivated strawberries and many other edible plants. All produced by genetic engineering carried out the long and uncertain way as described in the Bible. (;-)

John Woodgate