PC sound card as sig-gen, sa, & o-scope?

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on folk's favorite (but under $100) software to be used with a computer's sound card. I'd like to use my computer as test equipment for audio signals. I'd like signal generation, spectrum analysis, and a two channel scope.

Thanks.

Reply to
gwhite

used

for

channel

Signal generation - under linux, the program "siggen". Free, and basic. Works for me.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Reply to
sdeyoreo

used

for

channel

Thanks. Unfortunately I have an investment in Windows (and all the associated software) and won't in the near term be going to Linux.

I did some more searching and found a reasonably priced package:

It can create tones and waveshapes, and some are built in:

"The Expression Evaluator allows sound to be generated from almost any equation. For example, to generate a simple sine wave, the following can be entered:

sin(2*pi*f*t)

General expressions for sine, triangle, and square waves are already provided, plus expressions for dial tones, effects, and noises."

It looks to do most of the other things I care about too. The price is apparently around $45 US. That doesn't seem bad--even a starving EE student could almost afford that. I think I'm on my way to having a garage audio lab. LOL

Reply to
gwhite

I use DaqGen for generating signals in the audio range (the program can do up to 64KHz... but depends on limits of soundcard).

. Freeware.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

"Now: the 2-bit processor, with instructions:
 1. NOP - does nothing, increase PC.
 2. HLT - does nothing, doesn't increase PC
 3. MMX - enter Pentium(r) emulation mode; increase PC
 4. LCK - before MMX: NOP ; after MMX: executes F0 0F C7 C8 "
Reply to
Chaos Master

used

equipment for

channel

There was something similar and in the same ballpark pricewise named Cool Edit 2000, it was a regular stereo wave editor with pretty much the features of Goldwave (and a better UI, IMHO), and there was Cool Edit Pro which was a multitrack recorder/editor for several hundred dollars. Adobe bought the Cool Edit products, dropped the lower-end 2000 product (too bad), and renamed the Pro product Adobe Audiotion and kept the several-hundred-dollar pricetag. If you can find earlier 'trial'/shareware versions of Goldwave or Cool Edit 96, maybe on a shareware download site, these are 99 percent fully functional and very useful as they are. If what you want is to do audio analysis, there's a free program named Rightmark that does lots frequency response and distortion tests, and can give precise measurements even with cheap soundcards (all consumer/game soundcards are less-than-great quality), since it tests the card and subtracts its contribution to the test results.

If you're using this for audio-band signals all this will work okay, but outside of the 20Hz to 20kHz band you'll need a 'real' A/D card that goes from DC to your upper frequency of interest, and these aren't so cheap. You might as well get a 'real' oscilloscope. I've got a Velleman digitizing two-channel scope, it goes to 60MHz, is powered by a wallwart, plugs into a parallel port, and cost about $300 a few years back. The Pentium computer and monitor it's plugged into cost a lot less than that at the thrift store.

-----

Ben Bradley

and DazyWeb Laboratories, a bit buggy, but has a lot of potential. (groan the site is down)

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith