Madness

Actually got to be cheaper than a mechanical one requiring NIST traceable calibration- almost anything can run $500.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Absolutely, if it is Micro$uck software...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Our apartment complex has washers and driers that use "credit cards" with a chip. At times a card goes bad with stupid messages "invalid user" and worse; impossible to determine stored value for rebate.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Better that than having a GS system running you in (semi-random) circles...in unfamiliar territory.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You mean you don't have one of those yet? :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Chip cards and clothes dryers don't mix well, dryers make lots of static electricity. cards with the only record of stored credit are a stupid idea. especially when intended for stationary equipment.

Once I noticed a clicking sound when I rubbed a chip-card with a finger. I turned out the lights and could see that I was drawing sparks from the friction.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Seems like a good application for RFID cards.

Reply to
krw

No, no, what you get is an irrecoverable error. Seems even toasters can have the bue screen :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sometimes I carry my trusty non-computerized Weller to clients because that one always works. Other times when they only have these newfangled highfalutin wimpy pencil irons and I need to find a fix for a serious EMI issue my first trip is to the next hardware store for a Weller

100/140W soldering gun. That gets the job done.

I've also used an Allen wrench heated on a kitchen range and held with sturdy pliers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, I can't type either ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And a blue screen ... oh-oh ...

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Dyzlexiss unite!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Lysdexics untie!

Reply to
krw

For soldering shields you want the more manly D550.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

.

n?

I don't think I ever found a use for those 100w guns. I cant think of any s ituation I'd prefer one to an iron. The 100w can't be kept on for too long, an iron does better. I do have some nice meaty Solons for heavy soldering, but I dont remember the Weller guns ever being able to come anywhere near competing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

situation I'd prefer one to an iron. The 100w can't be kept on for too lon g, an iron does better. I do have some nice meaty Solons for heavy solderin g, but I dont remember the Weller guns ever being able to come anywhere nea r competing.

The weller soldering guns are a poor design. The tip is all copper and bi gger at the very tip. So less heat is produced where it is used.

Wen made a better soldering gun with copper leads going to an plated iron t ip. So the heat was generated where it was needed. But Weller prevailed a nd Wen went out of the soldering gun business.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

At my lab I have a 150W Ersa iron from Germany. That does all the heavy jobs like soldering inductors the size of a baby fist, shields, heavy gauge wires. But the Weller 100/140W guns saved the day at clients many times. I'd have bought the D550 but when in a rush at clients things must happen right now, not tomorrow morning when the Fedex overnight shipment arrives. The local Lowe's, Home Depot and so on always had the

100/140W and it did just fine. Later I found that these clients began using them a lot for heavier stuff.

For really, really heavy duty soldering I have a really manly tool ... tssss ... PHUFF ... phschhhhh ... white/blue flame, fed by a propane bottle.