GPS Phone madness

Looks like using GPS phones will be banned in Vic, even if it's in a cradle:

Madness, as only the bureaucrats can come up with.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**Yeah? Wait'll you get tapped in the arse by some idiot punching a destination into his GPS. IF a GPS can be made to only operate by a passenger, or when the car is stationary, then I have no problems with their use. As long as drivers can use them, then we're all in trouble.

PS: My 'phone is GPS equipped, so I will be affected by any forthcoming legislation. I ONLY operate it when my car is stationary. Driving a car in Sydney requires 100% concentration.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yep, please explain how it makes sense to have a purpose designed GPS device in a cradle legal, yet a mobile phone (often running the same GPS software) in the same cradle will be illegal to use.

They can do that with purpose designed GPS's too, yet they ain't nabbing people for using those.

So do I. I plug in the address and then let the voice prompt do the rest.

Indeed.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Also:

"Under Rule 300 of the Australian Road Rules, which prohibits the use of a hand held device while driving, if the unit is a mobile phone then any function connected to the phone would be classified as use and this includes GPS. Rule 299, of the Australian Road Rules permits a GPS but not one connected to a mobile phone. A smart phone is still a mobile phone regardless of what else it may be capable of."

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**Perhaps you misunderstood the thrust of my argument. ALL GPS units ('phone and non-'phone types) need to be subject to the same restrictions.
**See above.

**Which is why ALL GPS units need to be treated the same.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

As long as operating radio,cd player setting clock, adjusting heater or air con,trip meter, electric mirrors or manual rear vision mirror or any of the other myriad things that are part of driving are also banned.

Reply to
F Murtz

So you think people looking up UBD on their knees or steering wheel are safer?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

**Are you a complete moron, or just wilfully stupid?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

:> Madness, as only the bureaucrats can come up with. : :**Yeah? Wait'll you get tapped in the arse by some idiot punching a :destination into his GPS. IF a GPS can be made to only operate by a :passenger, or when the car is stationary, then I have no problems with their :use. As long as drivers can use them, then we're all in trouble. : :PS: My 'phone is GPS equipped, so I will be affected by any forthcoming :legislation. I ONLY operate it when my car is stationary. Driving a car in :Sydney requires 100% concentration.

Wouldn't you be a lot happier living somewhere like Singapore? They love having endless laws, with harsh penalties. Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=

**None of those takes as much concentration as punching an address into a GPS. I've seen people do it and I've been the victim of an idiot who did it whilst driving.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Fuck that. It's a dictatorship, where capital punishment is enshrined in law. I am anti-capital punishment. Singapore has the worst weather on the planet too.
**After YOU get rear-ended by some f****it playing with his GPS, get back to me. Idiots cannot be trusted to use GPS' responsibly. The law is essential. I watched this idiot plough into me a few months ago. I could see him fiddling with his GPS. I had absolutely no-where to go. I just waited for the crunch. Then I waited for my car to be repaired. It was a PITA. All his fault, that doesn't make up for the inconvenience.

Walk a mile in my shoes, BEFORE you shoot your mouth off.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Last summer I was hit in a back by a guy looking up his way in refedex while driving a car. You must be a moron if you cannot imagine that happen. It was a young fellow in old Falcon so I suspect not everyone can afford or is willing steal a GPS for his car.

Just trying to point out that banning anything won't solve a problem. I've seen women putting make up while driving - would you ban lipstick and mascara from drivers hanbags? It would make sense (at least for me) if the cops here target idiotic and dangerous behaviour on the road and not particular devices. Somehow it is too hard to understand that idots are the danger, not a GPS or a mobile phone.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

great! get a GPS phone and you can send txt messages and claim you were adjusting it...

.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

includes

If it's in a cradle it's no longer "hand held" is it. And what about hands free kits for mobile phones. Are they now banned as well?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

essential.

his

Simply ban cars then, IF they want to ban devices rather than the real cause, *stupid drivers*. That would fix your problem. Would that make you happy too? If so just sell your car now and your problem is solved!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

At least these guys were stationary"

Nik Rim

**As long as the government sees fit to allow complete morons the right to drive a car, then we needs laws to ensure that they do not injure others.

BTW: Idiots using a GPS can injure pedestrians too.

Like I said before: Walk a mile in my shoes. Wait 'till some idiot rams you up the arse, because he was mucking about with his GPS. You'll be screaming for legislation too. I was dead lucky. No injuries and not much damage to my car. Next time and idiot decides to play Russian roulette with MY life, I may not be so lucky. Nor, I might add, might you be.

We either get ALL the idiots off the road, or we use draconian laws to keep the idiots in line. Those of us with common-sense don't read maps, text or use a GPS whilst we're driving.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

How stupid! IF you don't prevent the truly stupid from driving in the first place, NO law is going to prevent them injuring others.

Since intelligent people only touch it *before* they drive, I can't see how. Maybe you think high levels of radiation? :-) Continually trying to figure out where you are and where you are going is probably more distracting IMO.

you

I've been run into the back of 3 times by people not watching what they were doing! NONE of them was playing with a GPS. You STILL do not understand the difference between poor driving, inattention and a singular piece of technology that MAY cause some *morons* to crash, when they'd just find some other way to do it anyhow.

I've been screaming for tougher driving tests, and retests every ten years at least. Have been doing so for decades with no result. The government makes FAR too much money fining morons to want to get rid of them beforehand. I am NOT screaming for bans on GPS usage however.

EVERY time you drive on the road you are playing Russian roulette, since the government actually believes advanced driver traing is a BAD thing :-(

keep

The bigger the idiot, the less likely they are to obey the law anyway. Good luck with your "osteriech" false sense of security.

GPS "usage" while driving doesn't involve touching it at all, and is no more dangerous than listening to the radio!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

:> :> Madness, as only the bureaucrats can come up with. :> : :> :**Yeah? Wait'll you get tapped in the arse by some idiot punching a :> :destination into his GPS. IF a GPS can be made to only operate by a :> :passenger, or when the car is stationary, then I have no problems with= =20 :> their :> :use. As long as drivers can use them, then we're all in trouble. :> : :> :PS: My 'phone is GPS equipped, so I will be affected by any forthcoming :> :legislation. I ONLY operate it when my car is stationary. Driving a car= =20 :> in :> :Sydney requires 100% concentration. :>

:> Wouldn't you be a lot happier living somewhere like Singapore? : :**Fuck that. It's a dictatorship, where capital punishment is enshrined in= =20 :law. I am anti-capital punishment. Singapore has the worst weather on the= =20 :planet too.

What do you expect will happen here if you keep getting what you want,=20 which appears to be to have guns outlawed, and now new GPS laws? Those=20 in power will take every opportunity to exploit and abuse such laws, one=20 way or the other. At least you're anti-capital punishment...

:> They love having endless laws, with harsh penalties. :> Sounds like it'd be right up your alley. : :**After YOU get rear-ended by some f****it playing with his GPS, get back = to=20 :me.=20

You think if that happened to me, that I'd automatically want the law=20 changed? Not everyone thinks like you (thank Christ).

: Idiots cannot be trusted to use GPS' responsibly.=20 :The law is essential.=20 :I watched this idiot plough into me a few months ago. I could see him=20 :fiddling with his GPS. I had absolutely no-where to go. I just waited for= =20 :the crunch. Then I waited for my car to be repaired. It was a PITA. All hi= s=20 :fault, that doesn't make up for the inconvenience.

We were in a fairly serious accident, being t-boned by a drunk driver. And yet I am against random breath testing. Just because something=20 'bad' happens, doesnt mean you need to be running off for help from the=20 nanny state.

:Walk a mile in my shoes, BEFORE you shoot your mouth off.

No, you assume your way of thinking is the only possible 'correct' way=20 of thinking. Your mentality is asking for a dictatorship, even if you=20 don't know it.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=

:Like I said before: Walk a mile in my shoes. Wait 'till some idiot rams you :up the arse, because he was mucking about with his GPS. You'll be screaming :for legislation too.

LOL. You just don't get it, do you?

: I was dead lucky. No injuries and not much damage to my :car. Next time and idiot decides to play Russian roulette with MY life, I :may not be so lucky. Nor, I might add, might you be.

That's life. I have NO problem with that.

:We either get ALL the idiots off the road, or we use draconian laws to keep :the idiots in line.

The only draconian measure we need is in relation to population control. But that won't happen, until it's forced upon us.

:Those of us with common-sense don't read maps, text or :use a GPS whilst we're driving.

And?

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=