LT Spice question

Downside is that every new junksdomain.com costs registration fees. My email accounts are free.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

volts in

ck

ollower.

. The

with the

(R2=3D1K,

k an amp

t put them

rasitics

the VFB

n 50R and

ies with

ENT

ing

l cause

hey have

-)

tudent, to

nd that

this

in there?

you

,

the

an

with

it has the option but it is not set, and that is what I did I just did it by adding it to an existing model

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

[...]

We are guide dog members so we puppy-sit sometimes. Can't have any wood with toxic stuff in it within "gnawing distance".

I found that anything I ever built out of aluminum as a kid, including some outdoor antenna stuff, will most likely even outlast me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I don't use one domain per login, of course. That would be a huge pain, and completely unnecessary. With a catchall, I can use as many apparently unique email addresses as I like, and only one or two junk domains. The three I let expire were initially amusing .info ones that I registered for a buck last year and wound up not using.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You're using linux. Why not get your ISP, (or get another who will) to deliver mail with SMTP to your sendmail, then set up as many aliases as you like. If one gets spammed, just kill that alias, and any more will just bounce, and you'll never see it.

Then set your email program to point to localhost, and you're done.

I know sendmail is a bitch to configure, but I'm sure you can do it ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I don't run sendmail--it's a security nightmare. My servers only expose SSH, and on nonstandard ports.

My method is very convenient, because all I need is one domain with a catchall email account that forwards to a hidden real email address. Then when I have to register on some website, I just make up an email account name on the spot, e.g. snipped-for-privacy@smyjunkdomain.com, and any resulting spam will be labelled with the perp's name. No admin overhead at all. If I were to get a lot of spam from some particular place, I can filter that alias on the mail host. It's only happened a few times in 15 or so years, which isn't bad.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The stuff in use today is not toxic. Much (copper).

If you're no longer there when it goes "phut" what's the difference?

Reply to
krw

My brother did the equivalent with snailmail forty years ago. His middle initial is 'A'. For every subscription he had, he bumped it by one. When he got junk mail he knew who to blame.

Reply to
krw

use

Then why are there the serious sounding warning labels about arsenic and so on?

probably

It'll ding the legacy and posthumous reputation :-)

Also, I am planning on being there another few decades. Of course, I am not the deciding authority about that ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

use

probably

Oh, and they won't think a real nutcase put in aluminum deck posts? ;-)

Better study Spanish.

Reply to
krw

probably

If I saw aluminum posts at the deck of a house I am interested in buying, that would leave a rather positive impression with me. Just like the 2" by 12" beams under our house did.

Now if the whole structure of the deck was metal and the house was concrete/brick I'd whip out my checkbook.

I am always planning on doing that and then it doesn't happen. So, next year ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

probably

It would tell me the moron didn't know what he was doing. What other danger lurks. It's *not* the same thing as 2x12s (rather normal construction).

No wonder you can't keep your house heated. ;-)

That's the best time to do anything. I think I'll learn Spanish, too. Next year. Chinese, while I'm at it.

Reply to
krw

probably

Au contraire. The danger is with wood. Take a close look at a deck, all those designed-in nooks and crevices where water can pool. That rots out wood, even pressure-treated stuff after a while. You have to constantly maintain things. If you don't then people can get killed:

This is all wood frame. The house we had before is 1-1/2ft brick, plus insulation. That used less energy per sqft and had a very nice 2-day lowpass function so you needed no A/C. It evened out day and night temps nicely. Best of all, the structure could never burn down and the maintenance was close to zero.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

te:

rote:

is a

, it an

it'll probably

ding

?

-)

ke

danger

n).

the trick is to avoid all those places where water can pool why not use concrete, you need something to keep the wood off the ground anyway, like these:

rere_0705_low.pdf

It always seemed to me that many american house are glorified cardboard boxes

Most houses here are brick outside and cinderblock inside, rules require a minimum of something like 200mm rockwool insulation on walls and about double that under floors and roof in new buildings

A brick house may not burn as such but that might just mean you need a bigger bulldozer to get right of it

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

an

probably

We have that and I am pretty religious in making sure no leaves or dirt piles up at those places. But you know how it goes. A little water or moisture collects at the saddle under the post, wicks up a little into the post and, voila, you've got a rotting process going.

On the deck itself this is even less avoidable because somewhere the boards must butt up against posts and other elements. That's where moisture tends to linger and cause rot.

Well, but they are fairly flexible when a earthquake comes along. Some of those would knowck down the typical European building and kill people inside.

Yeah, depends on what's inside. Plus the roofs can stil burn because they are also wood fram in Denmark. Could be steel but they don't do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

probably

No, these things are all understood. Wood has been used for decades in millions of homes. Anything "strange" is suspect; the installer was not familiar with standard construction practices. Be very wary.

...but yet you need five cords of wood every year. In Kalifornica!

Reply to
krw

an

probably

Construction is not the problem, maintenance is. With aluminum or conrete that problem almost goes away.

Another big issue with wood frame construction is slow leaks. I knew a guy who regularly repaired houses where that happened. The usual, a toilet leaks ever so slightly but underneath so nobody sees anything. Year after year, drip, drip, drip. Then one sunny day ... ka-crunch ... the bathroom sagged a few inches. All sorts of stuff broke. It had rotted a beam and part of the pier underneath. I think that one was a high five-digit case because they essentially needed a new bathroom.

Well, this is a 3000sqft home with a rather open architecture and this is Norcal where temps reach freezing. We used to live on two cords. That was until they called off global warming :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

an

probably

Construciton *is* a problem. If your deck is rotting away in a decade it wasn't built properly. If it's aluminum, it's a hack. What else is? Concrete, less so.

"ka-crunch" is that like "phut"?

Sure but I don't see how that's relevant here, unless you're intending to use an aluminum commode. ;-)

The "temps *reach* freezing and you use five cords of wood?! I knew people in Vermont that used about that and the temps there would sometimes "reach freezing" from the other side, in the winter. ;-) That house is leaking like a sieve. :-(

Reply to
krw

it an

it'll probably

danger

It's several decades. But the fact is, once a hous is 30-40 years old you either plunk down $20k++ for a new deck or there'll be constant repairs. The Romans would have laughed about that, their stuff often lasted 100 decades and more.

If it was aluminum there'd be no problem. Case in Point: Our antenna. It is made from aluminim, it's been up there for many decades, zero maintenance, zero corrosion or rot, looks almost like a new one.

No, worse :-)

If the piers and beams were from metal that will corrode little or not at all, or from concrete, then this would not have happpened. The owners would not have seen their retirement nest egg shrivel up.

It has single-pane windows which doesn't exactly help but is otherwise well insulated. I do not want a fully airtight house like "modern" ones. The air in there gets so stale in the afternoons that I become tired.

The main reason is that heating periods have lengthened to about six months out here, sometimes more. It used to be as little as 3-4.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

is a

it an

it'll probably

including

danger

...and a waste of resources.

Not the point.

Come on. It's not that expensive to repair these things. Building an entire house out of aluminum isn't going to do the "nest egg" any good, either.

Coffee. Walk. Watch daytime television; just one trip through the "guide" in the daytime will get you back to work - pronto.

Seems you shouldn't have used aluminum framed windows. ;-)

Reply to
krw