Skiing in Arizona?

Hi Jim,

Where's the best skiing / snowboarding to be had in Arizona? Is it near Flagstaff?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The Whitlock Mountains. I have some timeshare ski condos for sale there.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Hmm... is there a town out there? Or just a few houses?

Only 5,682 feet high? Or is there a higher peak...?

Went skiing last Friday up at Boreal, CA (near Lake Tahoe). Snow level was around 7,000 ft. Below that, it was raining.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I believe the Snowbowl, just Northwest of Flagstaff is the largest. I've never been there in the winter. We went up from Chandler last spring for some hiking and nearly passed out walking through the parking lot. The base is at 9200ft which was a bit abrupt, having driven up from the valley that morning.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Wow, amazing. Looks like 3/4 of the park is for intermediate-advanced skiiers. Man.

I went to Boreal last week - had a blast. (I'm a beginning skiier.) After skiing the beginning lift awhile, I tried taking the long ski lift to the top of the mountain, planning on taking the green runs down. When I got there, all the beginning runs down were closed. Great. Skiied over to the Blue Runs, wondering why they put a cliff over there. Looked down. Oh great. I'm too young to die! How do I get down now...? Do I jump over the "Green Run Closed - Do Not Enter" sign they'd just put up? Better not... they'll never find my body until the snow melts. Oh ok, I'll just walk down. Tried that. Taking too long. Oh, I know! I'll use my advanced registration as a PE to fashion a sled out of my two skis, and ride down. THAT actually worked.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I live in Oregon now, and the skiing here is really quite nice. Willamette Pass

is about an hour away, and has snow for a good

5+ months. That's with a base of only 5100 ft! The lifts rarely have lines, and the mountain is as uncrowded as it gets. They have a special run for tubing (with a rope tow) that's actually quite fun, if not a little terrifying. Mt. Bachelor in Bend is bigger, but usually crowded. Same for Mt. Hood in Portland.

They run the lifts in the summer for hiking and mountain biking. Here's the view to the South from the top of peak one in the summer:

Actually, while I'm throwing photos online, here's a snapshot of the San Francisco Peaks.

The Arizona Snowbowl is on the backside of the left peak. It's not visible in the photo as we were driving North into Flagstaff at the time.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Snowbowl very good. Been there many times when I lived in Flagstaff and Phoenix. Upper bowl can be very good powder skiing. Bring your good lungs. Base is 9200 and top of the main lift is 11,200 (I think or maybe higher). If it's a clear day make sure and take the lift to the top and enjoy the view, you can see the Grand Canyon. If you can go during the week, Tue, Wed and Thur were the best days for me, short lift lines (some times ski right up and get on the chair).

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

Some of us stay where it's warm and just look up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

They have a freeze warning almost to Miami for tomorrow night. Where is this global warming? I've had to run the heat more this winter, than any time in the last 20 years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, worst case, if global warming hits, we can all move to Vail, CO, and ski some more...

(grin)

Another Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Another afternoon of covering things so they don't freeze. Its supposed to hit the low 20s in Central Florida tonight.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Supposed to be 78°F tomorrow ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It was 78F today in Whittier, CA. :-)

I would say, "If this is global warming, I'm for it", but then I wonder, if it is, what's it going to be like around here in August? =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Its supposed to be 62°F here, but we've had a lot more cold nights than usual. Its 27°F at the Ocala International Airport at 2:%% AM

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If that had come from a less credible source i would have called it an urban legend.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller