low MHz connector design consultant

Joerg Inscribed thus:

I've seen the enamel burn off a coil at that power level. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Hi Baron,

I never said it did. Just that matching the characteristic impedance on each end of the line is necessary for the full transfer of power.

If the line is mis-matched, the impedance anywhere on the line will be a complex function. Right?

Regards, Tom

Reply to
tm

Not if you build the transmitter right. Mine did it several times. Blew up a coax and also a large two-incher balun. The tubes remained completely unfazed. Ok, when the balun went the antenna-side variable capacitor briefly went into the welding business but that was fixed with

600-grit sandpaper.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oh yeah, lots of weird stuff can happen. My strangest episode was when a piece of ceramic turn into bubbly green glass. The rest of that capacitor flew off with a loud bang.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

No laptop? Most airports have free WiFi. Once I sat in the Irish Pub next to gate C1 when connecting in Las Vegas. Held a pint of Guinness up in front of the netbook, hit the snap picture button, emailed it to my wife right from the bar stool :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

That's still better than the accuracy of budgets set up by politicians :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

tm Inscribed thus:

Yes ! Matching is a requirement for efficient transfer of power.

Yes I agree with you ! Since the line impedance doesn't change because of a mismatch. Its a physical characteristic of the line, so it can't change. The VSWR along the line will change with a mismatched load. So the complex impedance will be a cyclic function of line length as seen at any point on the line.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Actually, it isn't.

John

[...]

Probably the transmitter wasn't meant here.

A professor of mine actually said so, that a transmitter must have an output impedance equal to the line impedance. I had to leave the auditorium to shake off a major ROFL attack. Later I told him that flames would be shooting out the buildings of large AM transmitters, and brought him a schematic. That schematic was quite sobering :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

in message

custom

impedance and

frequency range.

the shelf

"matched"

military

in-house

never had

using our

and

50% and was

loss

dozen in

the rub and

(just to

5%) and

environment.

following

(basically review

frequency

material

signal

cycle time.

time.

should

Engineering is not semantics.

No, it is not. Your question is circular; you're defining the terms, within the question, such that there is only one answer, also answered within the question.

No, it really isn't that complicated. You're making it complicated.

Reply to
krw

Most? More than half the airports I've been in have access fees (as much as $10/day). Some are AT&T, so I was covered there.

...and then you came home to a cold bed. ;-)

The interesting thing that I've found is that the higher the price of a hotel room, the lower the probability of free Internet access (also averaging about $10/day). Of course all the other hidden fees are in more or less the same proportions.

Reply to
krw

Hmm, the last route where I used the netbook while traveling took me to SMF, LAS and PBI. All free. Also TPA but I didn't turn it on there, so I don't know if they had it.

Nah, she got a chuckle out of that email, and then she knew I was just one more flight from home.

Yup, the "higher class" a hotel is or claims to be the more they tend to nickel and dime you. I like Marriott Residence Inn and Courtyard. But I am not fussy, as long as it's clean, in a safe neighborhood and has free Internet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Early electric engineers assumed that the DC dynamo internal resistance should be the same as the load resistance for maximum power transfer and thus, thin wire was used to make the windings in the dynamo in order to increase the internal resistance.

Soon they realized, that this does not make any sense and thick wires have been used ever since.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 May 2010 09:35:17 +0300) it happened Paul Keinanen wrote in :

With the price of copper going up, the wires get thinner again, and the temperature rises :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Joerg Inscribed thus:

Joerg, you're right, it wasn't. I was considering only the transmission line to load.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

It's been a couple of years since I've flown (too much hassle), but the biggies seemed to not be free (ORD, ATL, etc.).

We've been staying in a Holiday In Express in the Atlanta area fairly frequently. It's a nice place, in a great location, and the price including Internet, has been about $60 a night (tax included). We started going up there to an Embassy Suits, but it wasn't a great hotel and they charged for everything, except cocktail hour (I don't drink) and breakfast. Internet was $13/day. ...and we travel with two laptops.

With the economic downturn, hotel rates have gotten cheap, particularly weekends. We've found that HI Express has been cheaper than most decent places. Of course this doesn't apply to resorts. We were in a HI Express right on Orange Beach, AL a couple of weeks ago. Internet was included there, but it was $150 a night (off-season rates) before tax. It was supposed to go up to $250 a night about now. I wonder if that'll hold for the season. :-(

Reply to
krw

Yeah, some charge a lot. If you ever do have to go there's info sites like this one:

It's been a long time since I was able to get a room for 60 bucks, good deal. HI Express is nice.

I don't think $250/night is going to fly. We had a major resort go belly up here lately. Forgot which one, some major chain I believe, I think somewhere towards when John Larkin's cabin is. From the very beginning I wondered what the heck they were thinking when they built that massive thing. And sure enough ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

hotel

about

Including taxes, that hotel has cost us between $60 and $62. Like I said, it's right where we want to be, too.

I just looked for the weekend of 6/19 (our anniversary; the weekend I was looking at before). One of the resorts down there is going for $575 a night. A lot of them are in the $300 range. I don't know if these prices are falling already.

There are only so many feet of nice beach, though. Go off the beach and the price drops to $100-$150, prime time.

Reply to
krw
[...]

If you really, really love her price has to be secondary on those occasions :-)

When we lived in Europe we spent most of our anniversaries here, usually in the fancy tower room or falcon suite which are nowadays north of $300:

Breakfast doesn't get much better than this:

In the evening we had a nice 7-course dinner with whatever wines and aperitifs she fancied. The grand total? Don't ask ...

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

She'd kill me for spending that kind of money. We went down there three weeks ago for her birthday.

Ah, you locked her up in the tower. Long hair?

She wanted a Mustang convertible for her birthday. I figure in two years. Her car is only ten years old now. ;-)

Reply to
krw