Low end TEK 'scope

We bought a new low end TEK, TEK1052B-edu ~$500.

It's got a nice big display! I like it. The -edu version has some built in course-ware to teach students how to use the 'scope. A nice idea. (I haven't looked at it too hard.) One of the courses is running an Arduino, another for the MSP430 Another on the 555.

TEK, trying to keep their foot in the low end market. I'll have to play with it a bit more.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

$?

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Looks a lot like a Rigol, but all those scopes look alike these days.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Look at the first line, where he gives an approximate price.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

A nicer screen, two more knobs... gain and position for each input channel. (I've said I'd pay ~$50 or $100 more for the rigol if they added the two knobs.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't get why scope form factors are always landscape, but I'm not talking about the display, I mean the scope case. They could put the controls below the display and the unit would take up much less room on the bench/desk. That is the main reason why I haven't bought a new scope yet. Instead I'm looking for a USB attached unit. So far I haven't found one I thought was worth the money. That and that I want a MSO to debug digital stuff as well. Not so common with USB units.

--

Rick
Reply to

Some of the Rigols have all the knobs. Screens keep getting better; my DPO2024 looks like home theatre. It pretty much sucks, otherwise. At least it has a DEFAULT SETUP button, for when I get in so deep I can't find my way out.

How does that Tek drive? The Rigols are pretty user friendly. I can't even use our Windows-based LeCroy; you practically need a user course.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Kind of heavily marked for the educational market.

I wonder if this comes out of Tek's Pudong (Shanghai) facility?

As opposed to Rigol which is based in Beijing (branch office in Beaverton). Hmm.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Like these?

John Devereux
Reply to
John Devereux

Now that's sensible! I guess the Japanese don't have 10' of bench space for every designer.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'd guess it's stability, it's about 4" front to back, taller would be less stable.

That is the main reason why I haven't bought a new

Reply to
George Herold

I haven't played with it enough to find any problems, so far all the knobs and stuff are nice. Still the same 2.5k memory depth, which is OK for more analog stuff.

The screen is nice, there are photo's in the course-ware. The screen resolution is probably better than the scopes A-D.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There's what looks to be the same 'scope without the

-edu tag, but $10 more list. I called Tek sales and asked what the difference is? I was told the only difference is the edu version comes with the course-ware. ?? The cheaper version has more stuff ?? (Maybe Arduino and TI are helping with advertising dollars?)

I have no idea, but as a 'scope consumer competition is good. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

vintage scopes are often tall instead of wide. hand-held scopes go that way too.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Bench? Why not put an oscilloscope on a cart?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The scope vendors, especially Tek and Agilent, want to hold down the memory on the cheaper scopes, like they used to want to charge big bux for FFT.

Selling overpriced brain-damaged scopes is part of Tek's "Buy Rigol" strategy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

TBS1052-edu

It mentions Datalogging, But I didnt see an explanation, did you come across that yet? The courseware is interesting, I gather you can load an entire Lab instruction in the scope. Thats sorta neat.

Martin Riddle

George Herold schreef op 06/05/2015 om 06:30 PM:

With 400x240 pixels? No thanks! IMHO these scopes are a complete waste of money. Better get a Rigol

1000Z series (hard to get because they sell like grazy).
Reply to
N. Coesel

That's, like, a direct insult!

Who woulda thunk, 20 years ago, that a Chinese company would be successful selling better scopes than Tek, for maybe 1/20 of what the price would have been?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

From the data sheet, "The instrument includes a 7-inch WVGA TFT color display," I think you were looking at the TBS1000 (not B) which has a very limited display and lower bandwidths.

--