lots of files

It would be interesting to hear the legal arguments on both sides!

E.g., *is* there a reasonable expectation of privacy in a *marriage*? What are the parallels to a (business) partnership?? Do you have the right to look in your spouse's wallet/purse? Bedroom dresser?? If you find something in the glove compartment that isn't *yours*, do you have to pretend you never saw it??

I.e., what makes marriage any different than two "strangers" who happen to be in the same place at a given *time*? Marriage is largely about *property* rights...

Reply to
Don Y

Processing expands to exceed the available resources. This is why, six months after you purchase the latest and fastest computer system, you suddenly disover that it's Too Slow. ( With disk storage, I think that the bytes shrink over time and won't hold as much data. )

If you think it's bad now, just wait until you start keeping a 24/7 log of your daily activity using Google Glass or something similar, along with touch, taste, and smell sensor data. Then there'll be your VR sims ( some shared, some not ), your new 25mpixel video images for the

120" VideoWallOfTheFuture(tm), ... and your kids and grandkids want to e-mail you copies of *their* data: "Look, here's our new baby sleeping from 12:00-13:00 last Sunday, along with her Government Approved brain activity scans."

( Wonder what Facebook and YouTube will look like when people start posting FullSenseSurround(tm) "logs" of -- say -- Thanksgiving dinner, or "My First Date"? )

I'm impressed. I haven't had much success getting my Junque to leap into the wastebaskets; it just crawls off under the desk and hides behind other Stacks-O-Stuff.

I *really* need a "pocket universe" to keep all this Stuff in. And another to hold the index...

Frank McKenney

--
  A common hesitation in our day touching the use of extreme
  convictions is a sort of notion that extreme convictions,

"Byte shrinkage" -- I've got to remember that! My previous favorite was "font error" (to explain a typographical error -- as if the typeface was somehow responsible for the "misREPRESENTATION")

I'd be *thrilled* if mine would "crawl off"! But, it appears to be much lazier than either yours *or* Jeff's -- it requires active participation on my part to coerce it from point A to point B. :< I probably should have been more forceful in training it while it was "growing up"...

Reply to
Don Y

Something like this?

Spehro Pefhany

Ha! That's excellent! Trick is to get the license plate where each choice is "inverted" and, when the cops come knocking, claim "it must have been the OTHER guy!"

Reply to
Don Y

Not a problem. My machines have a large swap partition or swap file. When I run out of RAM, I switch to gobbling diskspace. The more common description is that for every advance in hardware processing power is negated by an equal and opposite increase in software bloat and processing speed. The net result is something like standing still.

I never buy the latest and greatest. Those are for my customers. I buy their previous generation machines, at absurdly low prices. Computahs are a miserable investment.

Ummmm... have you heard of Facebook, where some people do exactly that? I think of it as the antithesis of privacy.

Apparently, you're not following Apple/Nest products.

I didn't mention who's junk migrates to the waste basket, but it's probably not yours. Perhaps a better example is the dumpster behind my palatial office building. We had to install a locking cover to keep the neighboring apartment dwellers from filling up the dumpster. Left unprotected, the dumpster seemed to be filling itself.

Incidentally, the opposite happens with candy. Put a bowl of jelly beans, chocolates, or other candies on my desk, and the candy will disappear without any evidence of tampering. One visitor to my office was especially good at gobbling mixed nuts without being noticed. During one visit, he manage to grab about 1 lb of nuts (about $7). When I suggested he stop pillaging my nut jar, he suggested that the nuts were actually evaporating. I like the theory, but still tacked $7 onto his repair bill to cover my expenses.

I suspect a black hole might be more useful. Perhaps /dev/null with an index.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That 5 MB cost me $5 :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It was a used, full height 5.25" drive. Everyone wanted the used half height, so I got it for $5. It sounded like a vacuum cleaner when it started, and made the power supply grunt. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Den tirsdag den 13. januar 2015 kl. 20.14.16 UTC+1 skrev Don Y:

tear down of a $250,000 harddrive form the 80's

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I was actually going for a Monty Python reference, but anyway...

Pro'ly ought to have included a reference to caning and licking streets.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Present us with a shrubbery and all will be forgiven.

Reply to
Don Y

Shame on you! Monty Python: The Holy Grail. British irreverent silliness, but often so much to the point. These days, somebody would probably try to bomb them to death.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

Short clip:

Longer clip:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

+1

"Bring out your dead...."

Actually, I preferred ANFSCD -- esp "How Not to be Seen", the "Milkmen", "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink" and, of course, "Dead Parrot". It seemed like more "laughs per unit time" than The Grail.

Reply to
Don Y

quest for the holy grail, between "Brave sir robin" and "black knight" IIRC

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

I'm pretty sure I've seen the movie (rather than just the good parts on YouTube), but I really have no recollection of that bit.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I allways take care when interacting with rabbits after knowing about the "pointy teeth" and the deadly consequences (bring out the holy handgrenade)

"I fart in your general direction", also a great comment from the guy talking about mean airspeed of the swallow. That's hilarious

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I thought that came from the "castle" scene, near the end -- from the frenchmen behind the battlements.

And, wasn't there a scene with "Attack! Attack!" followed almost immediately by "Run Away! Run Away!"?

I'll have to rewatch it with a more critical eye (ear?).

[Grail's ending was a giant fizzle which left you thinking "why the hell did I watch this??"]
Reply to
Don Y

Yes, you might be right, been 20 years since I saw it last. My kids are not yet fluent in English, but when they are, I will force them to see it :-)

Remember the fight with the knight, "tis but a scratch"

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Coconut scene:

Klaus Kragelund