lots of files

Take a genuine handheld 12M pic in room light, and post it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Which part of good lighting did you not understand?

In sunlight or equivalently bright photoflood/flash there is no problem at all utilising the full resolution of a modern camera sensor.

Actually I could do it on my Pentax K5 but with the ASA pushed to make it hand holdable it would not be my finest shot. Camera shake reduction systems and autofocus servos are no good in very low light but these days they are pretty good in domestic room lighting and have auto white balance too unlike classical film where you had to use filters.

Pentax K5 can run up to 51200 ASA equivalent which is insanely high. The fastest wet film I ever used was around 3200 ASA.

(not my image)

I reckon it is usable at a pinch up to around 12800 ASA but after that the colour balance and thermal noise tend to be very obtrusive.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've learned to opt for *more* "resolution" in manuals than you'd otherwise think necessary. Esp as more and more are now viewed electronically -- where the user can freely zoom and make downsampling artifacts plainly apparent in photos included in this manner.

You also have to be keenly aware of how your document prep software

*stores* images (both for efficiency reasons AND security!). E.g., I've decomposed PDF's to discover the original images from which ONLY *cropped* portions were intended to be visible in the document. So, anything that you don't want *in* the document should be cropped off *before* embedding the image (with whatever tool you are using). [i.e., the document software makes the *displayed* image just a WINDOW into the *real* image -- which is also present in the document, though not expected to be visible]
Reply to
Don Y

Increasingly, as "memory" (primary, secondary, etc.) becomes cheap, you are seeing algorithms swing to the other end of the spectrum -- burning memory to save *time*.

Reply to
Don Y

Where did you learn to be such a jerk?

I'm not a studio photographer. I take pics of equipment, scope traces, circuit boards, and outdoor stuff and food for personal reasons. I take a lot of pics and I'm hardly going to set up a flash and tripod and stuff to shoot a pic of a circuit board or a scope trace. And I generally reduce them down to 1024x768 or less, because there's no advantage, and I don't want to create 30 megabyte manuals or ECOs.

If the pic is reasonably framed, it doesn't need to be zoomed much.

Which part of good lighting did you not understand?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't always want enough resolution to give away the design!

I use Irfanview to crop and tweak jpegs. The files get much smaller, so I don't think any of the deleted stuff is still there.

Word does that, if you crop after the image is imported. The image is still available for re-cropping.

Funny word, "crop."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I meant just my files, the things that I could cull to save space, but I probably never will. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft and Mozilla and such had a few hundred K files of their own.

Old Basic and assembly programs are good as references, to how we designed and tested products 10 or 20 years ago. They're so small by modern standards, we may as well keep them around.

I occasionally have to edit and reassemble a 68K assembly program, for an older product. So far, all the build tools still work fine. Unlike more modern languages I could name.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I had a 10M winnie on a CPM box. Smallest "(hard) disk" was an RS08 (256K words, IIRC, on a 14" platter). Dimmed the lights when you spun the sucker up! Drive plus controller would easily be larger than a pair of *large* microwave ovens, today! (and heavier than hell!)

(But, it was "free" so you "made allowances" :> )

Reply to
Don Y

This requires a second step when building a document. And, a "manual means" of conveying what you think you want *in* the document layout tool

*to* the photo editor. I.e., "I want the left edge of the image to be EXACTLY here, right edge THERE, top and bottom..."

With WYSIWYG tools, it is usually easier to just zoom and drag the original image "behind" a window into the document. But, that leaves much of the original image still *in* the document!

E.g., don't expect to pan and zoom to display just an image of your face from a photo of yourself standing next to your *mistress* and NOT expect the mistress' identity to leak out! :>

Yes. So, you're stuck panning and zooming until you've got it "just right" (FoR THE DOCUMENT). Now, have to somehow convey that *visual* criteria to the external tool to come up with a correctly cropped image (which you will then use to replace the original *in* the document).

My point is, this happens unbeknownst (talk about "funny words"! :> ) to may users/publishers! Ditto for EXIF data *in* images... (I've often wondered if many of the social media, etc. sites actually scrub this stuff from the images posted?

Reply to
Don Y

I use Irfanview and Word. I downsize and crop and tweak colors in Irfanview, then drag into Word. Word lets me position and scale size, well enough. It works.

Oh. Gosh. My bad.

Sometimes people leave all the apparently-invisible collaborative edits in a Word doc. That can be fun. There have also been embarassing legal PDFs where blacked-out stuff was just underneath some black stuff, easily recovered.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I believe some of the the paranoid three letter agencies have a policy that that redacting must be done by printing, covering, then scanning

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not to worry. You should see what was "off screen" in her head shot that she posted on her Facebook account!! :>

Yes, people don't usually understand the tools that they are using and their consequences. E.g., how a web browser can be fingerprinted; how your IP address can be tracked; how your purchases can be analyzed; etc.

A mildly paranoid friend once was stunned when I commented that his use of 800 numbers discloses *his* phone number to the caller (this predated the days of callerID). "Well, how else do you think TPC will be able to bill for the service?"

As a friend pointed out, even my *avoidance* of many of these things "profiles/identifies" *me*! ("Aha! Here's that guy with the TOTALLY UNIQUE/atypical browser configuration that makes him *so* easy to track!")

Reply to
Don Y

And that only works if there's no steganographic information there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You had it easy. I remember buying 1k x 4 bit ram for $30 a piece. And I had to work for that $30 - up at the crack of dawn...

Reply to
David Eather

Edited stuff is sometimes still visible in the document too.. nasty. I've seen documents with supposedly redacted information still available.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I wanted one of those, but even working full time I could never afford it.

Reply to
David Eather

I currently use the existing tables to determine criteria for the passwords that *I* use! I.e., sure don't want *my* accounts vulnerable to such easy attacks!

[Hacked my BinL's laptop as they were headed into divorce just so my sib could see what he'd been up to!]
Reply to
Don Y

I wouldn't be boasting about that too loudly in public.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

All I did was provide a CD that *could* be used to disclose a password. [Note that she could also have removed the disk from the machine and installed it on another (D:) to gain access to the files. Or, installed a keylogger. Or...]

The *affair* was made visible by her hubby's actions -- e.g., using his cellphone with full knowledge that *she* was the party that paid the bills. As such, routinely EXAMINED the call log -- which includes location information: "Gee, why was he dozens of miles from the office on all of these WORK DAYS??". Which led to a more detailed examination of the credit card statements. And, the bank statements ("Why cash withdrawals from this ATM very remote from his office in the middle of the work day?"). Then, a few clicks to determine the owners of each of the telephone numbers he was calling (or receiving), noting the mileage on the vehicles before/after work, etc.

[Can you spell "metadata" :> ]

As I said elsewhere (recently), most folks aren't aware of all of the information that "leaks" out of the technology that they employ.

This was a repeat of an exercise we did in school decades earlier... inferring activities from trace records associated with those activities. It's actually an interesting sort of puzzle to solve! You can't *prove* anything (directly) but can dramatically increase your confidence in a particular set of conclusions.

Also, provide lots of evidence to divorce attorney who can point to funds that have been withdrawn from communal accounts for the apparent benefit of an extramarital liaison... (apparently, such monies are significant in the eyes of the Court; it's not like you went out and bought a pair of running shoes from your joint account!)

Reply to
Don Y

with the genders reversed it probably anything goes ...