lots of files

Old eyes don't like looking at tiny things. :<

I had offered her *this* monitor (22" widescreen) and she grumbled that it was "too big". OTOH, she *loves* it when browsing the web, sending email, etc.

I *long* ago learned not to question women-folks' reasons! Something about venus and mars...

Reply to
Don Y

Working with Files-11 file systems (PDP-11/VAX/VMS) which creates a new version of a file each time a file is edited. Sooner or later a large number of files are created.

In one of the companies I worked for in those days, the official policy was not to clean out old versions (apart from keeping the last automatic 3-4 latest versions).

If the storage requirement grew larger than this, new washing machine size 300 MB SMD 14 inch disks were purchased in order to save the time selecting what files to delete. This was in the 1980's. Today, there is much less needs to delete old files.

Reply to
upsidedown

The real question is, when are you (he/she) be able to watch all these movies ?

Reply to
upsidedown

I don't understand the point of using your own storage space for commercial movies. Are there people who watch the same movie over and over enough that the cost of purchasing it (assuming theyre not pirating) and the space on the server to store it is worth it? This is basically what cloud storage and streaming was made for.

With services like Spotify I don't see a lot of point in keeping a huge music library on disk either unless it's really obscure material; with some devices you can even sync the online library so you can listen offline...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

What a silly thing to do (though I have seen it many times).

What a silly thing policy. ;-)

Exactly. Disks have been "free" for a long time.

Reply to
krw

I've watched _SOAP_ in its entirety several times. Ditto with _Coupling_. And _Pinky & The Brain_. A trip to the theater costs far more (in time, money and inconvenience) than just throwing a DVD in the player.

_Flushed Away_ is *always* good for a quick laugh. _The Day the Earth Stood Still_ (original), _Buckaroo Banzai_, etc.

Some flicks I keep to share with others (e.g., _Rubber_ is just too weird to pass up!). Or, have been gifted by others.

When I get a chance, I'll rip the rest of my LVD library -- why repurchase what I've already purchased??

We probably watch 4 or 5 movies a week. We rely on the local public library (free) to get us the media *and* coerce us into trying new titles. E.g., last night was "Cronos" (spanish language film). I'd never have selected it for viewing if we had Netflix, etc. OTOH, picking it up OFF THE SHELF costs nothing -- if we don't like it, throw it in the pile to return next week.

Most current titles aren't worth the time to watch. The tricky part comes when you stumble on one that *is* -- do you hope the library will still have a *viable* copy next time you feel in the mood to watch it? (they get scratched up pretty quick *and* our library tends to discard stuff pretty quickly: "No one has checked this out in X months...") So, either buy a copy or decide you're willing to be disappointed when you check it out, again, and discover it is no longer playable...

I've ripped all of my CD's so I can access them from devices OTHER than a "CD player". Why inconvenience myself with having to be online to hear what I've already purchased?

I have a few hundred concerts that *can't* be purchased. Should I restrict myself to only listening to them when I'm online?

What I can't understand is services where someone else picks the material! (e.g., the old "broadcast media" model). Why would I want to listen/watch *that*?? And, now??! Today was Chubby Checkers followed by Bill Chase. I'll finish the evening off listening to Janis scream for a few hours.

Would I have *stumbled* upon those choices in an online service? Among the THOUSANDS of choices (most of which I've never been exposed to nor care to be exposed to!)

[Nor am I keen on letting others "benefit" from knowing my listening habits]
Reply to
Don Y

spectacles can fix that.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

That depends. When one of the duplicates gets edited they're out of sync. If another is edited, data is lost. It's important to have only one active copy of data. BTDT.

You don't use CVS (or equivalent)?

Reply to
krw

I've a friend who has turned his retirement into "nonstop movie watching". I am amazed that each movie that I *try* to recommend is met with: "Already saw it!" :-/

*I* find it "sad" as there are so many things that I could imagine a healthy, "secure" individual doing BESIDES watching movies. But, it's not *my* life, so...
Reply to
Don Y

In my experience spectacles can fix that.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

You got that right! I've been out of work (FMLA) for the last seven weeks (go back Monday) and have been bored to tears with TV, even with all of the "movie channels", plus ~300. There have been a few movies worth watching but the best thing on has been Andy Grifiths. ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't play with the hobbies. When I retire (not too far in the future), it's *not* going to be to sit around and watch movies.

Reply to
krw

Why not stream them? There only needs to be one copy of a movie in the world, not millions of them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You should! I think it really helps with creativity and workflow. EEs should like electronic music! Some of the stuff the "kids" listen to these days is pretty amazing and obviously composed by some very talented folks. This tune is one of my favorites for doing EE stuff:

[Dubstep] : MitiS & MaHi - Blu:

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
bitrex

On Windows, I have used and liked "Yet Another Duplicate File Remover",

. At one time, I had a failing hard drive, and had made a few different attempts to get files off of it, which resulted in sets of files with lots of overlap. YADFR got rid of the dupes and let me concentrate on the few files that were different between attempts.

On Linux, so far, I usually roll my own out of md5sum, find, awk/sed/ perl, and so on. I don't do this very often.

If you've been playing around with relatively huge single files - DVD ISOs, virtual machine images, stuff like that - sometimes telling whatever directory listing or search program that comes with your OS to "find files bigger than X GB" is helpful.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

One amazing (free, so far) site is Songza. You can pick expertly composed playlists by genre, activity or whatever. No particular knowlege of music or tedious searching required.

If you want jazz with no vocals, or weird synthesizer music, or some rock to get your blood moving just ask. If you want to be in a busy coffee shop with a window overlooking a bucolic park, just open two windows and adjust the relative volumes between coffee shop and outdoors-- while the Peruvian Chanchamayo green beans are roasting and filling the office with a wonderful aroma.

Supposedly Baroque background music(eg. Mozart) is optimal for learning. Maybe something different for creativity. And definitely something else for working on tax records.. maybe a capstan shanty.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

+1

I find what I listen to is closely related to the type of activitie in which I am currently engaged. Sometimes, wanting something lower key to ease into a new project; other times, something borderline frenetic when I'm "on a roll".

I may *actively* participate in reselecting pieces -- or, opt to just listen to an entire concert, etc. so the "music selection activity" falls out of conscious thought.

The same sort of differences persist when I'm involved in other activities. E.g., while walking the neighborhood, my pace is largely governed by the choice of music I'm playing -- which, in turn, affects the sort of *thinking* I'm engaged in, simultaneously.

Reply to
Don Y

I suspect "in theory". In practice, there's a difference between staring at a little, tiny *detailed* image and a larger image (with "equivalent" detail).

She had her eyes "set" for distance vision (cataract surgery) so the house is littered with "reading glasses", everywhere.

When "reviewing" her (new) photos, her process seems to be to use thumbnail views to get an idea as to where each set of (consecutively numbered) photos were taken: "OK, these were taken when I was down by the stream...".

Then, she invokes a "slideshow" mode (starting on the first photo in the group of interest) where each successive photo occupies the entire screen. Studies it for a while (presumably making a decision as to how/where she wants to "save" it) and eventually moves on to the next photo.

OTOH, *my* process is to give a cursory examination of the photos on the memory card in thumbnail view and then select ALL of the photos that I want to drag to . But, then again, the types of things that I photograph are more simply sorted: these are photos of the roof repair, these others are photos of a new planting, and this last bunch are of a hardware prototype. All "attributes" that are readily apparent even in the crudest of thumbnail views!

Reply to
Don Y

Not for me. It's silence all the way, if I'm doing any sort of hard thinking.

My taste is more along this line:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's not what he meant, but her camera is probably also not what he meant.

I have an old Canon S1-IS, barely 3 Mpx, which takes pretty good pictures. Meaning: the blur inherent to the optics exhibits a PSF (point spread function) of maybe 3-5 pixels.

This is the direct spacial equivalent of an antialising filter in front of an ADC: for good step response, you want a good gradual filter, like a Bessel or Gaussian.

In the optics case, the aperture defines the reciprocal width of the PSF, and tweaks in lens design and focal position act to smooth the edges (from a radial sinc shape -- a brick wall filter -- to something more gentle).

Bad cameras (like, who would even want 20Mpx in a cell phone anyway?) can't possibly have good enough optics to matter: the result is comparable to a 24 bit 100MSa/s ADC driven by LM324s!

Exposure also matters (since we're still sampling in the time domain as well as the space domain!). Which is like aperture duration on an ADC. If the camera moves during the ~20ms or whatever it's forming the image in, the PSF is smeared by that motion. This isn't intractible, because for many years now, sensors have been designed to compensate for this (the "IS" in my camera's name -- something about a piezo or voice coil compensating based on accelerometers -- it's real, and it works!).

Or if the "smear" is known, it can be deconvolved from the image in software (with suboptimal -- likely speckled and lumpy -- results). The equivalent of having a not-optimally-flat filter characteristic in front of your ADC, and adjusting the gain with DSP so it reads correctly.

Astronomy has been doing even better for years, and it continues; can you imagine the outrage if your oscilloscope took "lucky" exposures? -- Namely, if, from the 1 million or so waveforms/sec modern scopes acquire, they were sorted histographically by noise level, and the 10% lowest RMS waves averaged together and displayed -- you can already imagine the result will be pretty damn sharp, but also somewhat lacking in real features. Difference being, us engineers want to see the signal as it is, whereas astronomers have to do it through the layer of vaseline that is our atmosphere, and they aren't interested in analysing *that* part of their signal.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation