Loony Question for Today

Humm... 40 watts in, 40 watts of heat... Yep, I'm an idiot today.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

You are as bad a Jim Thompson. As has been pointed out, a 40W incandescent puts out about 38W as heat and 2W as visible light, while a

40W halogen puts out roughly 37W as heat and 3W as visible light.

The smaller inner bulb of the halogen lamp does run hotter to get rid of almost the same amount of heat from a smaller surface area, but the amount of heat - watts - involved is close enough to the same.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

This is in an enclosed fixture. ...Jim Thompson

Me? I was on Dean's List.

No lampshade. Enclosed fixture, metal upper, lower a for-real glass globe. ...Jim Thompson

My very first thought. Doesn't fit :-(

Under consideration. "Globe" is literally hemisphere, 8" diameter x

4" deep. ...Jim Thompson

I replaced eight 40W standard spots with 43W Halogen spots, which are supposed to give the same light output as 60W standard spots. Subjectively, that seems to be true.

I wanted more light but didn't want to overheat the fittings. The bulbs actually comprise Quartz Halogen capsules within a normal glass envelope making them a straight replacement.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Oh, I know it's none of my business..but this so begs the question: "Which one?" :-)

-bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

Then why am I not making a quarter-million each year?

It was pointed out, but that doesn't make it right, so I asked for confirmation.

So the answer is 'yes.' Thanks.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Most of the cars use halogen headlights.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Jim, Probably not a good idea. Halogens are actually designed to run hotter, as this activates the halogen cycle that gives them longer life at those temperatures. If the fixture is only rated at a total of 120 watts, then that is what it should have. 180 watts of halogens would run considerably hotter.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

If it's spinning in the cold winter, then the attic insulation above the ceiling is lacking. The ceiling insulation is suppose to keep the room heat inside the room, while allowing the attic to remain at a low enough temperate that prevents condensation, which causes mold problems.

I don't think there will be enough power available to light three

15watt LED flood lights, but certainly enough to run a light show.

No clue what frequency the charger operates, but the article says the "ultrasonic" scaler runs at 1KHz. Other articles say 31KHz. I'm too lazy to find the patent. I also can't tell much from the size of the gold colored pickup coil at the end. It could easily be 60Hz.

If you run the rotary transformer at a higher frequency than 60Hz, the amount of iron required decreases, and the allowable gap increases. However, you eventually run into a problem with FCC Part 19, which limits the available frequencies and power levels. Audio frequencies might be safe, but will also be heard mechanically.

However, with a 60Hz fan motor nearby, that's probably not very well shielded, it might be easier to just mount a coil on the top of the blades, and see if there's any leakage from the motor available. Maybe removing some of the outer shielding from the fan motor might help.

If all else fails, there's always slip rings, but those are ugly and no fun.

Note: This is what usually happens in an engineering project, where those involved concentrate on details, and everyone forgets about the problem they were originally asked to solve.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Which answer do you want? Decide that, and we adjust the question.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

an even more ismplistic answer; Halogen lamps get hotter. that's why they use quartz envelopes instead of regular silica glass.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Show me a car with a UL mark.

Martin Riddle

Linux doesn't encourage proprietary expertise?

It was certainly plausible, and definitely in the right ball-park, and certainly correct enough for the purpose.

Answering an unspecific question with "yes" is not kind, and can be very unhelpful, if it isn't the right answer to the question that questioner thought that they were asking.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

I think he meant silicate glass - quartz is another name for silica, and my understanding of the term silica glass is that it is exactly equivalent to fused quartz.

Regular glass is a mix of various silicates, except when it's Pyrex glass, which is a mix of borosilicates.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Electric cars? The charging stations have UL labels:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Are you making the absurd claim that UL won't list halogen lamps? You'd better tell these people:

...and UL.

Reply to
krw

Do cars have CE stickers?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm not sure exactly what you're after but maybe one of these would be about right

There is a ship load of them and running them save you money.

David Eather