Looking for R7B Power DIN PCB socket

Hello,

I'm designing a product which uses a 220W supply unit (8A @ 27V), and this supply unit is equipped with a 4-pin Power DIN (a.k.a. R7B) connector.

Now the bummer is that the only suppliers for R7B PCB sockets I can find are in China (e.g.

).

From my experience I know that deliveries from China often take a month or more to arrive; also, most manufacturers only ship these items by the 1000 or more -- while I need perhaps a few dozen in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know where I can get R7B PCB sockets in Western Europe or the US? I tried Farnell and RS Components, but even though Farnel also sells power supplies with R7B connectors, they don't have R7B sockets (which I find a litlle strange -- how are people supposed to connect those supplies?).

Please note that I need the heavy-duty type, with several amperes per contact. A supplier in Poland also offers "4-pen power DIN", but those are specified for 2A per contact max.

Also note that cutting off the R7B connector and replacing it with another type is no option either, as that would void safety certifications etcetera of the supply unit, making it impossible to sell (at least without having it recertified myself etcetera).

Thanks in advance for any leads,

Best regards,

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

Email them and ask if they have a European distributor that stocks that part....

Reply to
TTman

Richard Rasker schrieb:

Hello,

you may ask that question in the group de.sci.electronics too, german language is not necessary, english is understood also.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

I think using the term "Power Entry Module" will yield much more results.

Reply to
Jamie

Do those have the same size contacts as the power supply you want to use?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have sent e-mails to several Chinese suppliers, but so far, no replies materialized. They're probably not interested in selling just a few hundred of these cheap parts to an unknown hardware developer.

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

I don't know - I can't find any datasheets on these connectors, and so far, the Chinese suppliers haven't responded to my requests for information in this respect.

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

Have you tried Toby? e.g:-

Datasheet says 7.5A

--
Geo
Reply to

I have several with different size pins on power supplies & extrnal hard drive cases, and another on a computer. None are compatible with anything else.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Toby are good, happy to supply samples and sell small quantities...

Reply to
TTman

OK, this looks very promising in all respects, I'll contact them first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

What model of power supply?

I'd check with the vendor - these types of articles always offer PSU mfrs and distributors a chance to make reasonable money on low volume sales of bits and pieces.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's what I checked first of all -- but none of the vendors of power supplies with said R7B connector (e.g. Farnell) is able to offer the appropriate PCB jack. Which is kind of stupid, because they sell supplies that no-one around here can connect to, at least not easily.

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

R7B is not the official name of the connector. Look for Kycon KPPX-4P connectors, rated 7.5A. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_connector says: "Erroneously also known as 'Power DIN', although different from any standardized Mini-DIN or DIN connector type."

Reply to
kho

P.S.: Kycon KPPC-4P is the 4 pin plug, KPJX-PM-4S the panel mount socket, KPJX-4S the PCB-mount socket. Mouser.com has them, including satisfactory descriptions.

Reply to
kho