Looking for High Frequency MEMS Accelerometer

Hi

I have an application in which I'm looking for an MEMS accelerometer, that can handle >100G and has a frequency 3dB cut-off at 50kHz.

Anyone know of such a thingie?

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Jan 2009 04:23:51 -0800 (PST)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

You mean you are going to smack something into the ground with 100G at 50.000 times per second? How much energy does that take?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Why MEMS? I don't think this is a problem for a piezoelectric accelerometer. You want something with a resonant frequency in the

200kHz range.

You could ask about the ADXSTC3-HG, but I doubt you'll be able to buy it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, the 100G could be at 100Hz, and only small signal at 50kHz. Still needs to be able to handle 100G then

/Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Jan 2009 06:03:59 -0800 (PST)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

OIC

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Basically, you want to by-pass the filter and track the third order motion, just as we do. 100G is not a problem, but all the commercial chips come with Bessel filters. You need access to the bare sensor. Are you ready and willing to do a custom sensor?

Reply to
linnix

Un bel giorno Klaus Kragelund digitò:

Use two different accelerometers, one for the slow 100G and one for the fast small G. I think you will save a lot money.

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

And get nothing for the small G. You might as well replace it with a motion switch, since it will be at maximum all the time.

Reply to
linnix

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:12:58 -0800 (PST)) it happened linnix wrote in :

You would have to make some mechanical filter that filters out the low frequency vibrations, and put the high frequency sensor after that. Some sort of acoustic coupler perhaps?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If such filter exists, you would not need the 100G sensor in the first place. Yes, if you have a fast 100G sensor, you can build the active mechanical filter.

Reply to
linnix

Un bel giorno linnix digitò:

I thought it was implied by the OP that the two dynamics won't present together at a time, but you are probably right.

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to
dalai lamah

Are you gonna launch a Sprint ABM? Ohh let us know when!

a7yvm109gf5d1

Sounds more like a collision sensor.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, impact analysis requires fast responses between 99.5g and 100.5g. No, you can't build it with a 100g and 1g combined.

Reply to
linnix

On Jan 6, 5:06=A0am, Jan Panteltje wrote:>

You mean you are going to smack something into the ground with 100G

Last time I did it, the motor was rated at 500W. The "something" was a titanium exponential horn, and the tip smacked into diamond dust atop a piece of something rather hard... this goes by various names, 'impact grinding' and 'ultrasonic drilling' .

The tip was only a few grams, though, and wasn't really compatible with accelerometers (how would you attach one so it didn't flop loose?)

Reply to
whit3rd

I have not seen MEMS accelerometers that can do both, perhaps you can try piezoelectric accelerometers with fast charge amplifiers.

Reply to
JosephKK