Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

Hello,

Most careers go the other way. I have encountered several people where it went like this: Analog engineering -> digital -> software -> sales.

Cool. On my first job I also had my first experience with Marketing. She picked apart my design, criticized this, that and the other thing. Now we are married for a long time :-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Mostly yes. It was about the position of controls, their sensitivity, ranges. Stuff that we had arbitrarily set and knew that it would need fine-tuning.

Oh, she'd be cool with that. When it comes to the schedules of projects on the honey-do list that is a completely different matter.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

my boss is a biologist, couldn't find a job anywhere, started in embedded software with us through a contractor we normally work with (anyone can write software, no?, don't know how she pulled that off), I remember her first day, obvious she never programmed in her life, threw a couple manuals at her and she caught on very quickly, after 6 months she was better then everyone else.

One big difference I noticed is she's not "married" to any software languages or operation systems or tools like most formally educated software types unfortunately are. she uses whatever tools are necessary for the job without preference which makes her very efficient, its nice to not have that baggage

Reply to
joep

When you say "team/project leader" are you refering to the company or home life?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Young

The criticism was her practicing to be a wife?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I wonder if writing software should be differentiated as a special case of engineering best suited to the sort of migration you mention.

Writing software differs from more traditional engineering disciplines in that it can often be done well with no background at all in math,physics or other science. It may even be that education in languages or music (discipline, order) are very good preparation for writing software. Perhaps those with interest and talent in such areas would find it easy to learn and be naturally good at it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well at least you knew what you were getting yourself into when you married her! ;)

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Yes, but was she right ?

I suppose that means you shouldn't risk answering the above question... :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hello Everett,

No, she didn't know that yet at that point ;-)

She doesn't criticize much, except when the steaks from the barbie aren't exactly done "as ordered" or if I made a serious mess somewhere. Like in the garage.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Bill,

Thanks, but this one borders on being mainstream :) I'm still collating replies.

Reply to
larwe

I myself am a commerce grad with experience in OS/HW abstraction. I started off with building an echo canceller for a DSP processor and currently working on IP switching. Sounds strange?

-- Prafulla Harpanhalli

Reply to
Prafulla Harpanhalli

'Er indoors did a maths and astronomy degree and ended up writing embedded code for fighter aircraft head up displays. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

Reply to
Tom

The chap who used to design the IR detector systems *many* years ago for English Electric's steel rolling mill automation systems just had a degree in botany!

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Nuff said.