logic generator

Is there a device like a "reverse" logic analyzer? Say 30 outputs and I can program what shows up on each pin in time? Suppose I want to shift out 288 bits on a SPI style setup at 30MHz, then generate a few 10ns strobe signals on other lines. I have a few gizmos like the Aardvark that let me generate I2C streams and have a few GPIO lines, but nothing to let me use them quickly. I'd like a GUI like I get with a logic analyzer, I just draw some levels in time, maybe have a way to generate the aforementionned 288 bits (I ain't drawing those in!), and press "go". You know, something for lazy dumbasses.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I'd grap any old board with an FPGA and enough outputs off the shelf and just write some verilog to do it

won't give you a nice gui and for each chance you'll need to resynthesize, but it's pretty quick for a simple design on a recent computer

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

There are these from Link Instruments:

The one doubles as a logic analyzer, the other is a logic analyzer but can accept accessory pods to drive patterns as well.

I've never used either of these but I do have (and still occasionally use) one of their older models. One thing in their favor is that they still have downloads for their older gear, more than a decade after they've been discontinued.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Simple dumb way..for N lines,use N shift registers; parallel load pattern and shift out what you wanted..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Agilent has some output pods for their logic analyzers. Different standards (1.8V, 3.3V ...) are available. They are not cheap, however!

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Something like an HP8175A might fit the bill. "50 Mhz digital / analog signal generator with user programmable serial or parallel data. It's only 24 channel parallel, but other models in the range do more. It's circa 1989, so should be pretty cheap on Ebay.

Have a collection of HP catalogs (incomplete) going back to 1955 or so, so if you need specs on any of the others, let me know.

(I know, collecting stuff like hp catalogs must be a pretty sad anorakism :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

In British slang an anorak (pronounced /'æn?ræk/) is a person, usually male, who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. This interest may be unacknowledged or not understood by the general public. I think many on this group would be very interested in you catologs! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Not at all! That way you can find out if you paid 2 cents or 5 cents on the dollar for all that nice used stuff on eBay. I'm currently averaging about 2.5 cents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

"anorakism" LOL

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Europeon spelling ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Cranky Old Git With Engineering Mind Faster Than a Speeding Prissy

Me too, but almost complete from the late 50's; and Tek too. Some Genrad, not as complete.

A lot of roughly 20 year old HP gear is used in test stands all over the world, and is getting hard/impossible to maintain. There's a market there.

No, there's good stuff in them, especially for ebay shoppers.

John

What you want is called a pattern generator. I have a Tektronix DAS9200 mainframe with acquisition and pattern generator boards for sale :-) It can be controlled through RS232 or GPIB so you could have a PC program generate the bits.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

A lot of manuals can be found on internet for free. Agilent has a lot of old HP service manuals on their website.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Yeah - it's called a "computer."

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Do you mean, "anachronism?" "Anorakism" sounds like worship of Eskimo parkas. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Here, take a trip to paronomasia:-

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:18:58 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Most computers have no 40 output pins, but a 40 pin DIL PIC would do :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A bun is the lowest form of wheat. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think I made it up from the word, but maybe saw it somewhere else :-)

Regards,

chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I do like hp test gear. One can take the lid off just about any of it and respect the engineering integrity and find little compromise. Even some of the stuff from the 60's can be found in good working order, valves and all. There was something about the period and the 70's and

80's where hp had that vision of pursuit of excellence and had the balls to assume that if they built a quality product, there would be a market for it. Tek, Fluke, Genrad and others were also very good.

The set here started by being scrounged from client sites, then filled in from Ebay purchases, including from the US, though prices are starting to rise for the earlier years. I guess about a every 2 or 3 years up to 2000, after which the kit is still too expensive, even s/hand.

Have bought a lot of good stuff for the lab through Ebay. The latest aquisition is an HP4957A protocol analyser, less than 30.00 uk pounds + shipping and it looks like new, inside and out. Have been doing a lot of serial comms work in the past couple of years and the ability to set up different data sets and protocol frames, + the ability to monitor the line, makes it indispensable for such work. All the pcb copper area, tracks and all, are gold plated !.

Why buy cheap new, when there's such a lot of good kit around at flea market prices ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ