logic analyzer question

Anyone know of a logic analyzer that connects to the PC parallel port for around $200? I did the Google bit and at about 7000 sites I don't have the time to look at all of them.

S/B

8 channels min 40 meg sample rate min 8k deep memory Run on a Pen 2.6g Win XP or a 486 Win 95 ( My solar powered laptop )

I did think about building one, I should have all the parts in the shop, but then there is the software to read and show it. That might take longer then my current project.

Thanks for any help Bob

Reply to
Bob Huish

Bob...

I bought one of these and like it:

Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Morris Dovey

Unfortunatly that device doesn't meet the op's spec. Hears another 1 that doesn't, try and find a thurlby LA160, they come up on ebay every now and again around $50, only 20MHz, 2k samples but 16 channels.

Reply to
CBarn24050

again

Why not get an older logic analyzer off ebay or www.govliquidation for peanuts ($100). Something like a 1630D would do nicely.

Reply to
CoinMyster

There's this

but it's out of the price range. Bound to be some used ones out there, though.

I have one of their LA-4000 series hanging off a USB port. Even though we have a couple of HP logic analyzers around the lab, I usually use the LA-4540. Does what I need and it's really handy to be able to print to a network printer or do a screen capture to attach to an e-mail. Also one less big box to try to cram onto an already crowded workbench.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Don't.

A logic analyzer is a precision measuring instrument. It is hard enough to get one channel clean and calibrated, to the point that what you see on the screen is an accurate representation of what is happening at the probe tip. To do an

8-channel logic analyzer, you have to get 8 channels clean, calibrated, and CONSISTENT, so that what you see on the screen accurately represents what is happening SIMULTANEOUSLY at ALL 8 probe tips.
Reply to
John R. Strohm

Thanks for the help!

I will look at the ant8 and ebay. I did find one that looked good, till I looked at the buffer, it was 128 bytes.

Bob

Bob Huish wrote:

Reply to
Bob Huish

What's S/B stand for?

- for email, put the word "keep" in subject line -

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Sound Blaster Solomon Islands Senate Bill Antimony Solid brass Semi-bold

and there's probably something else it should be.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

s/b = Should Be They used it a lot in the repair manuals for the test fixtures at Digital Computers. ( Old habit )

Sorry Bob

Rich Webb wrote:

Reply to
Bob Huish

He's got a 16-channel one too, just $300, with 2k buffer. Close to the OPs specs. Close enough for me, anyway.

Christopher R. Carlen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Erm... look closer --> ^^^^^^^^^

My fault for attempting to be overly clever. ';-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to