LM92 temperature ic problem

Hi to all. I have a lm92 sample that I got from National semi. I have connected it to a micro (via i2c) with lcd to monitor temperature. I was reading about 22 deg C which was about correct.( compared with another thermometer). I then heated up the sensor (with a soldering iron) until it read just over 100 deg C , and let it cool down again to room temp(22). It now reads room temp as 24.2 , the other thermometer is still at 22.This thing is supposed to read up to 150deg c. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this ic , or have I done something dumb.(distinct possibility) It can go lower if I put a little alcahol on the ic and let it evaporate it drops to below 18deg and then goes back to 24.

Any help / ideas appreciated. Cheers Rob

Reply to
seegoon99

Sounds like you over-heated it with the iron.

...Jim Thompson

             Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

I damaged a Dallas 1-wire sensor with a can of freez-it. I was icing it down to check my C to F conversion to make sure the minus sign was coming out right. It's still readable, but it's way off.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Probably cracked the die from too rapid a temperature change.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

That sounds like a distinct possibility :0( Have to order some more. Thanks Rob

Reply to
seegoon99