LM317 exploding electro

I know someone is going to make me feel stupid for asking this, but ...

I have built the standard LM317 PS circuit with variable pot, etc. on a solderless proto board. Input is 37VDC from a plugpack.

It works fine for about 20 seconds, then the 10uf 63V electro in parallel with the pot heats up and explodes.

I have checked the circuit a dozen times and cannot find a fault.

Can anyone offer a clue? I have heard some brands of LM317 have differing pinouts.

Thank you,

John Morris (the moron)

Reply to
John Morris

"John Morris =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA "

Reply to
zjingren2004

"John Morris"

** That 10uF electro MUST have been installed with reverse polarity.

Maybe it was wrongly labelled.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This is a schematic of what your circuit should look like.

max input voltage is 37Volts on a LM317. Try using a resistive voltage divider to cut the input voltage a bit.

Also the max current output is 1.5 amps, put a series current limiting resistor with the POT, most likely the min resistive value on the pot is your problem.

Reply to
maxfoo

"Phil Allison"

Or it is really a 6.3 volt cap.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

hehehe... I once had a board that had a tantalum cap in ass-backwards, the thing blew up making a loud BANG! and then caught on FIRE!, scared the SHIITE out of me. The flame was an inch high and the whole lab stunk for hours, put a nice black spot on the pcb. Damn a-hole assemblers got me again.

Reply to
maxfoo

There's no way that should happen. Even if you get the electrolytic backwards, the adjut pin on a good LM317 only supplies 1.37 milliamps, which is unlikely to blow a capacitor in 20 seconds.

Use your voltmeter and check that the LM317 is getting a PLUS voltage to its pin 1 (the leftmost pin). Not Minus. Not AC.

My bet is it's AC.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

John Morris wrote: (snip)

(snip)

Either the capacitor was in backwards (the - terminal goes to ground) or the regulator is unstable and is oscillating at high frequency, heating the capacitor. You should look at the data sheet for the recommended (minimum) ceramic or film capacitors that should be connected as close as possible to the pins of the LM317, to stabilize it.

See page 3 of:

John Popelish

Perhaps he's looking at the pin view (i.e., backwards).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

There should not be a cap in parallel with the pot. Post your schematic so we can see what you are talking about. No "standard" LM317 circuit blows capacitors.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

"ehsjr"

** You had better look at the original Natsemi app notes for the LM317.

The schem with the additional protection diodes and 10 uF cap across the pot.

Improves ripple rejection by around 15 dB, according to the published data.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks! You're absolutely right. I did not consider the circuit with the protection diodes (or any LM317 vr circuit with other than the input and output caps and the voltage divider) the "standard" LM317 circuit the OP asked about, but perhaps I should.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr