linear position sensor

Hi all, i need an application note describing a schematic for a linear position sensor, in "time of flight" mode. The range of sensing is from 1 mt to

1 cm, and the resolution less than 1 cm

thanks

Reply to
Mauri

1 mt? What is a "mt?"
Reply to
Mark Jones

position

Hi, Mauri. You haven't provided enough information to give an answer. I'm assuming "1 mt" means 1 m, or 1 meter. Apart from that, several questions remain.

  • What do you mean by "time of flight mode"? Are you talking about time to travel a fixed distance?
  • Do you need continuous position measurement, or is measurement at the beginning and end of the measured distance sufficient? It's much easier to measure time from crossing a sensor at the beginning of a distance to the end of the distance, and then produce meters per second or something like that.
  • "Linear position sensor" implies a number of things, including linear servo pots, LVDTs, and many other things. If you have a specific sensor in mind, you should specify it.
  • How fast is your object travelling? It's a lot easier to measure the speed of a tortoise than a bullet.

This subject has been covered many times in both s.e.d. and s.e.b., and it might be more profitable for you just to use Google to find answers on these newsgroups to similar questions, rather than wait for responses.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

it is a 1 thousandth part of the letter "t"

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

I don't know about schematics, but several companies make devices like you describe. Keyence, Micro-Epsilon, Acuity Research, HP, and others come to mind. Do a google search on "laser displacement".

Reply to
lektric.dan

Hi, Chris. With TOF i mean a method measuring the round trip from the reflection of a pulsed laser beam. Nevertheless, as light travels about

30.5 cm per ns, i think the desired resolution requires estraordinarily precise timing. Thanks for the advice you gave me, i'm going to follow it.

bye Mauri

Chris ha scritto:

Reply to
Mauri

Hi, Chris. With TOF i mean a method measuring the round trip from the reflection of a pulsed laser beam. Nevertheless, as light travels about

30.5 cm per ns, i think the desired resolution requires estraordinarily precise timing. Thanks for the advice you gave me, i'm going to follow it.

bye Mauri

Chris ha scritto:

Reply to
Mauri

Instead of trying to measure the time, it is common to use the reflected light to invert the signal. You then measure the frequency of oscillation.

Reply to
Jonh Smith

Are we re-inventing again ? Home Depot sells an Electronic Tape Measure for ~ $50.00 or why not use a computer Mouse !

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO