Overdriving voltage regulator input?

So if I have a DC-DC voltage regulator that expects 7 to 13.8V on the input, will I fry anything by feeding it 17 volts?

Not sure what the voltage regulator output is (this is a consumer electronics device that uses about 500mW). The 17V input is coming from an unregulated wall wart rated for 12V @ 1000mA, so I imagine the voltage drops a little bit when the device is turned on.

Thanks!

Reply to
tylernt

from

if 13.8v is the upper limit of its acceptabel input, quite likely. Use one suitably rated.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Put a dummy load on the walwart, to simulate your regulator, measure the V and take it from there.

Without knowing more about the design of your reg............

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

It looks like the wall wart is unregulated, and droops to 12V at rated current - a shunt regulator at 13.75 or so volts would make the wall wart usable, although it might be more hassle than it's worth.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise