level shifter

Same way you did, BIRDBRAIN! Gotta run to the party. ...Jim Thompson

the

0.8

voltage.

satisfactorily. It is more compact than a diff amp or current source with inductor, but there's no cost savings with DK's pricing. It is standard current source level shift except it is voltage controlled by the 3.3V so the shift tracks with power supply drift.

package.

transistors.

on

puts Pd deviations in the .1 mw or less range for 0.03oK or 0.06mV Vbe or less,

0.03mV deviation, which makes current ratio errors +/-1% range.

have problems anyway.

drive on that pHEMT then a tried and true expedient would be a wide-band RF autotransformer to boost it up to 1.6Vpp..

developed a line for single ended to differential conversion for high speed A/D converter inputs about 15 years ago, weren't real pricey AIRC.

the first PNP emitter is approximately GND, it is only the 3.3V to GND potential that determines the current.

cheaper to make that way. Shouldn't the pairs be monolithic at least? That's all you really need.

mode.

200MHz isn't terribly high. That could still be handled by an RF FET used as a sampler gate. Closes only when at the +0.1V state and charges a cap. You may have to drive it via a little bifilar 4:1 step-up transformer but those are cheap.

Even back in the 80's when I did my final project (building a better CCD camera, from scratch) I found I had a useful sample window of only

15-20nsec. That was no problem with the components available then, and my budget didn't allow fancy parts. It blew all of the CCD array manufacturer's cameras straight out of the water because they did not sample that way.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Okay, so there's really no place to hide a slow or asymmetric response time, regardless of the TCs. Hmm. Are the ECL edges close enough to symmetric that the time average is the right answer at high frequencies?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hi, Jörg!

That's what I currently use, just the mixed npn / pnp variety in plastic so-16 for playing. The space qualified version is in _wide_ flatpack, not so nice for these hot transistors.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That's the usual problem with space-rated. Some space agency paid oodles of money for a rating but that may have been back in the days the first space shuttles flew. The only way around that would be to get a mfg assurance that the chip is the same and then fly it, or plunk down a ton of money and have them qualify the bare die or the smaller package version.

Designing space stuff can be very frustrating. Like going into a restaurant but you can only have the first two items on the menu.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

OnSemi has this

a 2.5 V/3.3 V Any Level Positive Input to

-2.5 V/-3.3 V LVNECL Output Translator

tpd

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:29:22 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot= e:

DF

ds vary 1:1 with VCC, and VICMR,min also shifts with GND. Seems you should = be able to interpose this between the 10EP51 and the pHEMT directly by runn= ing the chip GND about a volt above signal GND. The VCC at 3.3V and the VEE= at -2.5V.

Actually you could use any of the P to N translators like so, with level sh= ifting diodes, pull down, and bias resistors: Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . . . . -3.3V 3.3V . | | . | +-----------------------. . | | | . +------|-------. | . | | | | . +----+------+--+ | | . | (NB)100LVEP91| [Rp] [R] . | | | | . | |\ | | | . LVPECL>--| | > |----+----|

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And they're $10,000 for a hamburger or $20,000 for a cheeseburger, and they take 3 months to cook.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The hemetic feedthrougs take their toll. And the word of the mfg is nothing if the process has not been re-qualified recently.

That sums it up. May I put it on a tshirt?

You forgot the time for ordering and serving.

?3k5 for a AD8561 comparator :-(

I consider learning to solder officially and getting certified, so I don't have to drive 2*300 km just to have an inductor changed when I align my VCXOs.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

the

I can imagine that ancient transistor B-E rectifying a 200 MHz signal with 150 ps edges, being slammed into its collector. Another hazard!

Can largely be avoided, for a

I really like BFS17. It's fast but not too fast. Still, I'd put a bead in its collector if I used this circuit. Which I won't.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Happy 98th!

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That depends on the manufacturer. For example, Linear Technology gave me very good feedback on which parts are "space-robust" and this is a company I trust. Because I could not get one of the chips I needed in a space-rated version. So I did the design under the notion that if the client qualifies it as "worthy to fly" after testing the living daylights out of it they would have to go through space qualifications. The chance that the design fails because of this part is very low.

Yup :-)

Oh, and you can't take those burgers past the guys over at the gate, the ones with the machine guns. Not even the wrappers.

With fries that would have been 1k extra. Extra napkins are $100.

But first you'd have to hire a VP of Quality Control and another person who signs off on your work and suddenly those 600 kilometers don't look so bad anymore :-)

When I lived in Germany we could bring things like that well-packaged to the next major railway station where Intercity trains would stop. It went onto the next train and a guy at the other city picked it up. Then the same in reverse. That was faster than any courier service and saved us a heck of a lot of driving. Essentially you could have such a service done and the package shipped back and forth the same day. Do you still have that service?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

cheaper to make that way. Shouldn't the pairs be monolithic at least? That's all you really need.

Time stretcher, is that for a time-to-digital converter? I have another way to do TDCs, but probably more of a power hog from what you're doing.

1000x time stretching sounds challenging.
--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

the

May not make John happy but i like it. Thanks Fred.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

[...]

3rd Page added showing simulation at 250MHz...

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the heads up. Without having heard of it first, that would be a real white knuckler for me for several times.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

the

0.8

voltage.

going

I found that to be the root cause of measurement errors in a newly design system of a client. It wasn't 200MHz but cell phone pickup. "I bet someone is having a Marlboro right now and texting on his phone right outside that door" ... "You are kidding, right? This is all slow stuff" ... "But the BE junctions of the transistors in there don't know that" ... opens door and looks ... "Dang!"

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

the

0.8

slightly

will

voltage.

satisfactorily. It is more compact than a diff amp or current source with inductor, but there's no cost savings with DK's pricing. It is standard current source level shift except it is voltage controlled by the 3.3V so the shift tracks with power supply drift.

package.

transistors.

trust

tie on

puts Pd deviations in the .1 mw or less range for 0.03oK or 0.06mV Vbe or less,

0.03mV deviation, which makes current ratio errors +/-1% range.

problems anyway.

drive on that pHEMT then a tried and true expedient would be a wide-band RF autotransformer to boost it up to 1.6Vpp.

developed a line for single ended to differential conversion for high speed A/D converter inputs about 15 years ago, weren't real pricey AIRC.

since the first PNP emitter is approximately GND, it is only the 3.3V to GND potential that determines the current.

cheaper to make that way. Shouldn't the pairs be monolithic at least? That's all you really need.

mode.

Cool. Almost exactly what Fred posted on Thursday.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

the

0.8

slightly

will

voltage.

going

Lots of imagination, but no evaluation. I'm disappointed, but not surprised :-( ...Jim Thompson

the

0.8

slightly

will

voltage.

going

That's absurd. How could you have possibly known it was a Marlboro?

I've sold about 3000 or so NMR temperature controllers because a British company had a horrible RF rectification problem in the thermocouple front-end of theirs.