LED Voltages

Le Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:54:44 -0400, Spehro Pefhany a écrit:

Being made from a red LED, isn't it rather a NERD (noise-emitting red diode)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

The next step in the evolution is the Dark Emitting Axial Diode.

Reply to
krw

Ok, the avalanche current has both holes and electrons... so I guess some can recombind. (I have this problem thinking about diodes, where I try to 'conflagulate'* the band sturcture energy diagram, with the 3-D spatial picture.)

? what's the fall time?

Say I've got ~10uA of avalanche current.. If I collect all the photons do I get a part in 10^-4 (1 nA of photo current)?

George H.

*Wow, I thought I might be making that word up.
Reply to
George Herold

In avalanche breakdown, when you drop the bias voltage far enough to stop the avalanche but not enough to forward bias the diode, the E field in the depletion region will separate the charges reasonably fast. Charge separation will make the light output fall faster than it does in forward bias, where the junction E field is all shielded out by the free carriers, so the fall time of the optical pulse is controlled by recombination.

Not sure. But to zeroth order, if the drift is fast enough to speed up the fall time by a factor of 10, only 10% of those carriers will have had a chance to recombine and produce light. That's why I guessed that the QE would go roughly like the fall time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are very few thermal oscillators. Mechanical systems have analogs of R, L, and C, but thermal systems are all R+C.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Although relativistic heat waves are supposed to support shock waves as such. No idea how many nukes you'd need to test that one (and by nukes, I mean antimatter warheads).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

When the candle burns, the darkness is sucked into the wick, which consequently becomes black.

Reply to
upsidedown