Sony STR-DE975 right channel is out

Title explains my problem. Had the receiver for some years. Worked fine initially. Then noticed when volume was turned up beyond 38 or so the right channel would go out or nearly go out(difficult to tell). Turn back down and it would come back. Now the right channel does not work at all. Happened over course of a year or so, the best I can remember. Sorry to be so vague. Of course, I should have got on this sooner, but shit happens. So now I am looking to fix the problem. I haven't brought it to someone to get checked out. Is there anything I can do myself? I am not a pro but am willing to dig into unit if there is an easy fix. I have not opened the unit. Unfortunately the unit is in a spot where I can not easily got to it(and many wires to unplug and then plug back in) and just lived with the channel being out becuase it didn't bother me and I am sometimes lazy. But it bothers me enough now that I want it fixed. Tried other speakers that I know work and switched right and left wires so I know it is definately the right channel. If there is something else I can add to help diagnose, please let me know. I will offer what I can. Thanks anyone who can offer advice

Reply to
klimbingking

I'd start with the volume control itself.

+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain   +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
Homer J Simpson

Problem with speaker wire, bad relay contact(s). bad solder at the speaker terminal, or at the driver IC.

Who knows? Probably only the speaker wire would be one that you could fix yourself. Do inspect them and correct any loose wires or strands crossing over, etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Very common to get bad joints on output ICs on whole STR-DE series of amps. That would be the first place I would look.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily