LED to power a DC motor

Hi,

I am designing a circuit. It consists of two parts, the output of the first part is an LED signal, which is ON/OFF based on certain conditions. I require a DC motor to be powered on when the LED is in ON state. Could you please suggest a suitable circuit for the same?

Thanks, Regards, Krishnamurthy.S

Reply to
kitcha

Phototransistor + relay driver + relay?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Hi,

Its basically an output from the smoke detector IC which is required to drive a DC motor.

Regards, Krishnamurthy.S

Reply to
kitcha

You can get to the pin of the IC? Battery voltage? Is there a current limiting resistor on the led? Does the IC pull to ground (battery minus?) to light the led or does it go high? Will the motor work from a separate power source? How much current will the motor draw (and what kind of motor - little toy motor or earth mover?)

That is the basic information one would want.

Reply to
default

Yes, I can get to the pin of the IC and the voltage is as per the requirements of the smoke detector chip, would be around 9V. I am in the phase of designing the circuit. The motor works from a separate source. I should drive a blower, and hence is a big one.

Reply to
kitcha

A good solution would be to add an optoisolator in series with the existing LED. You might have to modify the existing dropping resistor due to the increased v drop of two devices.

The output of the optoisolator can be used to drive a small load, or a large one via a relay.

One thing to consider: The existing LED might be used for more functions than just the alarm output. My smoke detector's LED flashed briefly every few seconds. It also flashes for a low battery condition. You may need some logic on the opto's output to condition the signal.

The opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. All
rights
reserved. Void where prohibited. For external use only. Standard
disclaimers
apply. If irritation, rash or swelling occurs, discontinue use
immediately
and consult a physician.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.