Adapter fails to power DC motor

I bought the following 4A 5V supply adapter:

with the aim of trying it as an alternative supply for my 16 year old curtain controller circuit. At present I successfully use 3 x AA Nimh batteries, delivering a voltage of about 3.8 to 4.1 V (measured at the battery terminals). Current consumption varies from about 2.6A to stalled at 4A or so.

I was surprised to find that the adaptor does not work with the circuit's ex-screwdriver 2.4 motor. It delivers the 4 A to a resistor

*and* to the only other DC motor I have at hand, a 12V miniature drill.

Here's my 'scope showing the adapter's bursts of brief action:

I can find other uses for this, but I'm curious to discover why it doesn't work for the intended purpose.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I was interested in the product, so looked at the datasheet, where it says

Over-Current Protection >3.6A with auto-recovery function

Could it be that the protection kicks in on start current, likely to be the full stall current of aprox 4A, recovers, kicks in again, recovers, etc,etc?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Huh, 3.6 A over current on a 4 A supply is a little sneaky.

Terry, I've used a bunch of Phihong power supplies... I abused 'em but only with a resistive load. I guess you need a 'bigger boat' maybe look for a 25 or 30 W supply.. (find another 5V supply in your scrap box and put two in parallel?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sounds like it to me. I think the stalled motor inrush is causing it.

Reply to
John S

Yes. The current limit on many warts is to quickly sense over-current,

1.5x rated maybe, shut down for some fraction of a second, and try again. The average current into a short is low.

There can be problems with a wart trying to bring up an electronic device too, like a negative-input-impedance switcher, or something with big input caps. I design soft-starts into my stuff to allow the wart to get up to voltage.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Prompted by Jim's suggestion I tried some hefty electrolytics in parallel, thinking they would assist startup. For example: 100,000 uF/10V, 25,000 uF/50. But same result. They were of course at the adapter's 5.1 V when I applied the motor load.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Meant to add: while fiddling with this, tapping wires at various intervals, there was just *one* instance when the motor *did* start running at what appeared full speed. Spent another few minutes trying in vain to reproduce that.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Are you switching the power at the AC input or DC output?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If there was no load on the big cap, the supply would eventually charge it. But the start current of the motor could collapse everything when it was connected. A supercap might work. Or a better power supply.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

You could always try putting an NTC resistor in series as an inrush current limiter. Cheap, easy, probably works...why not?

Reply to
DemonicTubes

Oh! So this is a hack and the best bet will be a bigger power supply. but as long as the DC motor isn't starved for torque, then you just need to limit the current some.. so how about a series resistor, ~0.1 ohms?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

old

imh

the

tor

rill.

g?raw=1

t says

be

rs,

,

nt limiter. Cheap, easy, probably works...why not?

Doesn't even need the temperature coefficient. The NiMH batteries power t he motor at '3.8 to 4.1 V". This supply runs at 5 volts and he has not sai d anything about reducing that voltage that I saw. They guy is not very pr ecise in his description of the circuit though. I don't know what he means by "ex-screwdriver 2.4 motor". Is that 2.4 volts? 2.4 amps? Maybe 2.4 r evision???

Anyway, a quarter ohm or maybe a bit more resistance should be added betwee n the motor input and the PSU output. That would drop the volt at full pow er. Or maybe use a smaller resistor (~0.1 ohm) and a diode drop. Or maybe two diode drops, one silicon and one Schottky plus optionally a tenth ohm resistor.

I'm not at all surprised he is getting an overload driving a 4 volt motor f rom a 5 volt supply.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

r old

Nimh

at the

istor

drill.

jpg?raw=1

it

it says

to be

vers,

nt,

in

rent limiter. Cheap, easy, probably works...why not?

the motor at '3.8 to 4.1 V". This supply runs at 5 volts and he has not s aid anything about reducing that voltage that I saw. They guy is not very precise in his description of the circuit though. I don't know what he mea ns by "ex-screwdriver 2.4 motor". Is that 2.4 volts? 2.4 amps? Maybe 2.4 revision???

een the motor input and the PSU output. That would drop the volt at full p ower. Or maybe use a smaller resistor (~0.1 ohm) and a diode drop. Or may be two diode drops, one silicon and one Schottky plus optionally a tenth oh m resistor.

from a 5 volt supply.

Certainly a normal resistor would most likely work. The reason I suggested an NTC ('thermistor' as they are commonly known) is to avoid wasting power . They are readily available and dirt cheap...of course if you don't have one on hand and need to get it working now, yeah just throw a low value res istor on there and go for it.

I'm sure you know all this, but this is for OP's benefit.

Those NTC thermistors are often called 'inrush current limiters'. They sta rt out at a few ohms, but quickly drop to almost nothing after a moment of current flow.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

ear old

AA Nimh

d at the

esistor

re drill.

r.jpg?raw=1

y it

re it says

ion

y to be

covers,

rent,

the

ng in

urrent limiter. Cheap, easy, probably works...why not?

er the motor at '3.8 to 4.1 V". This supply runs at 5 volts and he has not said anything about reducing that voltage that I saw. They guy is not ver y precise in his description of the circuit though. I don't know what he m eans by "ex-screwdriver 2.4 motor". Is that 2.4 volts? 2.4 amps? Maybe 2 .4 revision???

tween the motor input and the PSU output. That would drop the volt at full power. Or maybe use a smaller resistor (~0.1 ohm) and a diode drop. Or m aybe two diode drops, one silicon and one Schottky plus optionally a tenth ohm resistor.

or from a 5 volt supply.

ed an NTC ('thermistor' as they are commonly known) is to avoid wasting pow er. They are readily available and dirt cheap...of course if you don't hav e one on hand and need to get it working now, yeah just throw a low value r esistor on there and go for it.

tart out at a few ohms, but quickly drop to almost nothing after a moment o f current flow.

Trouble is he needs to waste power anyway. He is mismatching a 5 volt supp ly to a 3.8-4.0 volt motor. So the NTC will only set him up for a future m otor failure.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

year old

x AA Nimh

red at the

6A to

the

resistor

ture drill.

n:

tor.jpg?raw=1

why it

here it says

ction

ely to be

recovers,

urrent,

try

nic

ing

w the

00

rt

ying in

current limiter. Cheap, easy, probably works...why not?

ower the motor at '3.8 to 4.1 V". This supply runs at 5 volts and he has n ot said anything about reducing that voltage that I saw. They guy is not v ery precise in his description of the circuit though. I don't know what he means by "ex-screwdriver 2.4 motor". Is that 2.4 volts? 2.4 amps? Maybe 2.4 revision???

between the motor input and the PSU output. That would drop the volt at fu ll power. Or maybe use a smaller resistor (~0.1 ohm) and a diode drop. Or maybe two diode drops, one silicon and one Schottky plus optionally a tent h ohm resistor.

otor from a 5 volt supply.

sted an NTC ('thermistor' as they are commonly known) is to avoid wasting p ower. They are readily available and dirt cheap...of course if you don't h ave one on hand and need to get it working now, yeah just throw a low value resistor on there and go for it.

start out at a few ohms, but quickly drop to almost nothing after a moment of current flow.

pply to a 3.8-4.0 volt motor. So the NTC will only set him up for a future motor failure.

Ah. Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that it is a 4 V motor. If that is the c ase, a proper supply is a better solution.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

overcurrent... a fairly common problem when tyrying to run motors off switching powersupplies.

adding large capacitors may help.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Are you quite sure that the motor stall current is only 4A with full working voltage applied ? This is quite different from stalling the motor and measuring the current (which will likely be limited by the power supply.) I would expect the rated voltage stall current of the motor to be at least 10x the full load working current.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Tried both. On the occasion I got the full power, I was tapping the 5V connecting wire onto the motor's +ve input.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

It's not, it's a 2.4 V ex-screwdriver motor, originally powered by two

1.2 V NiCads.

For the last 16 years, as I mentioned, it's been powered by three Nimh batteries (C-type, not AA, another typo, sorry), "...delivering a voltage of about 3.8 to 4.1 V...". A lower voltage of 2.5 V or so from two such batteries delivers insufficient current to open and close the quite heavy curtains. It's running well at present, closing smoothly in just over 2 secs:

but I'd rather like battery independence.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I have a couple of supercapacitors on order (from China, so maybe I'll be waiting a long time) but as you see from my earlier post a 100,000uF electrolytic didn't fix it.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell