LED Replacement for Halogen Lamp

Cree makes 90 lumens/watt to 140 lumens/watt units. If you want 5000 lumens total, that means (assuming you have high-efficiency power supplies) your input is in the 35W to 60W range.

And it means you need to dissipate up to 35W to 60W of waste heat; about the same as a hot i5 CPU, with a fan atop it. You probably are better off with 8 LEDs, drawing 7.5W each, on modest heatsinks without fans. Getting separate AC/DC converters for each LED is gonna be wasteful.

Reply to
whit3rd

I wouldn't trust 'em. 18W in that small a package is just gonna run too hot, even if 1/3rd leaves as useful light.

The 12W $3.50 version runs @ 62*C rise.

I like the 9W 800 lumen Great Value bulbs enough to graft heat sinks on them to make 'em last. :-) I cut the bottom off beer cans, fan out the edges, and epoxy to the bulb.

|| .-------. .' '. / \ . . . - . / / | \ \ . . \ | / . . \ - / | |----| |----| | | / - \ | ' \ / | \ / . \ ' | ' ' - ' / \ . . . ' . ______ .' (not to scale)

Fold out the "tabs" you see in the center, epoxy to the bulb case.

Cut "petals" (not shown) around the rim. Put a little twist in each petal, to let air through & mix the flow. (The result looks like an impeller wheel.)

Easy to make if you've got a lathe, more work with tin-snips and a drill. One sink cools the bulb ~17oC, two sinks doubles that.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I put three of these in the ceiling fan light kit that I added a few weeks ago. It is over my computer desk, and it is on from the time I get up, until bed time. There is barely room for the bulbs, in this light kit so a heat sink wouldn't help.

The new light replaces a floor lamp that flickered sue to the moving blades. With most of the light aimed down, it is a lot less annoying.

I'll pick up another package, and replace the bulbs in the gate post lanterns. I started with some 1.5 W LED lamps there about seven or eight years ago. They were all I could find at the time. I upgraded to three W bulbs last year, but a little more light wouldn't hurt, at night.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell