Beware: CFL duds

** With all this politically correct hyperbole about CFLs becoming compulsory in Australia, I could not resist checking out the lamps shelf at the local Franklins store this arvo - saw some very cheap 13W spiral types, only $3.39 each !!!

They were Franklin's own " No Frills" brand, labelled as being 3000K.

Now, 3000K is close to the colour temp of an incandescent bulb ( the more common kind are 4100K ) and described as " cool white ". So I took the punt and bought one.

It lasted about one second and failed.

But for that brief second, the light was soft and sorta yellowish.

Back it goes.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I reckon someone must have dropped it. But you're right the quality of ones I brought varies too. Philips seem to be good.

Reply to
Jonno

I saw those at Franklins the other day and wondered (1) How they make them so cheaply, and (2) If they're any good. Thanks for the info!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** Good tip.

I'll get my replacement one from the BACK of the peg.

** Had a couple of Osram brand ones where the tubes came loose from the base.

Superglue helped them last for a bit - then total demise.

Maybe got 25 hours out of each.

But I'm an incorrigible optimist and will try a few more - before carrying my " ultimate solution " and hording heaps of incandescents while you can still get them.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's why the cheap ones come in boxes of four - some of them will probably work. Junk.

Reply to
Fun Tyme

"Fun Tyme" wrote

That's why the cheap ones come in boxes of four - some of them will probably work. Junk.

***Wotta wanker!!

So do 40 Watt ES or BC lamps,do some of them "probably" work? Wotta wanker!

Brian g

Reply to
Brian g

Oh look, another newsgroup 'professional' !

The office girls purchased "several boxes of four" from the local shop, as the price looked right. Save one, all of these lamps died within 3 months of use, two of them NEVER drew any current. These lamps came four-to-a-pack in a blue and yellow box, at home here at 0430 I can't tell you the Chinese brand name.

These are the FACTS giving qualification to the comment, and I am terribly sorry if they don't please you.

So, please feel free to hop back into your box whenever you are ready.

FNT

Reply to
Fun Tyme

**I've had a few CFL failures. None were Philips. All failures were mechanical. The last one, the result of a possum jumping/falling on a horizontally mounted cheapie (freebie, actually. I got it, along with a bunch of others from those guys who give them away, then claim 70 Bux from the gummint). Spend a few extra Bux and try a Philips. I like the 23 Watt helical (though Philips incorrectly claim it to be a spiral) ones. Nice colour temperature, good light output and mechanically robust. Chinese made too. 6-7 Bux at Bunnings. ES or bayonet caps.

I had another thought: Will the government also phase out LED lamps? After all, these over-priced pieces of crap are around the same efficiency as halogens, which puts them around 20% of the efficiency of flouros.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

In the UK the local Morrisons supermarket had 18W Philips CFLs originally £3.50p, then discounted to 99p then at 99p - buy one get one free. At the same time their own brand was £1.99p, both types have proved fairly reliable over many months. Way back when they started selling them the price was £6.50p, at which price it was just about worth attempting repair of faulty units (most often the electrolytic failed). At the price they are now I just chuck the few duds I get in the junk box incase I think of a use for any of the parts.

Reply to
ian field

How do you relate LED lamps with being inefficient? Al I ever heard was theyre the next step up, rather than down.

Reply to
Jonno

**They're inefficient compared with almost any discharge lamp. They produce about the same (white) light as a typical halogen.

Al I ever heard was

**You're being lied to. I suggest you contact the ACCC. The whole LED thing is a scam. LEDs have their uses, but general lighting is not one of those uses.
  • A REALLY good LED (Luxeon, 5 Watt, white) can deliver around 24 Lumens/Watt, over a 120o angle. (Coloured versions are more efficient)
  • A small, 5 Watt halogen lamp can deliver around 18 Lumens/Watt, over a
300o angle (more light, due to the increased radiation angle). BTW: The halogen requires no heat sink, whilst the LED does.
  • A typical, quality CFL will deliver around 60 Lumens/Watt, over a 300o angle.
  • A typical, quality regular fluoro will deliver around 90 Lumens/Watt, over a 360o angle (I use NEC Quadphosphor lamps which are even more efficient, with a superior colour temperature).

All are significantly less expensive than LEDs. The energy efficiency of LEDs is a con. When taking the angle of radiation into account, LEDs are barely more efficient than a regular, good quality incandescent. They certainly can't compete with Xenon or halogen lamps.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Interesting, then why are all traffic lights being converted to these if they're no good ? Long life etc.? Less power used? Is the government also being lied to as opposed to them lying to us?

Reply to
Jonno

"Jonno"

** What an absolutely ASININE question.

** The only reason.

Failed traffic light lamps are not just expensive and awkward to replace, they are a MAJOR safety hazard.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Points:
  • I never LEDs were "no good".
  • Coloured LEDs are significantly more efficient than incandescents and they last pretty much forever. Those attributes do not apply to white LEDs.
  • We are discussing general illumination, for homes, not traffic lights.

**MUCH longer life. It saves the gummint heaps.

**Yep. Coloured LEDs are much more efficient than incandescents, combined with a colour filter.

Is the government also being lied to as

**Nope. You just haven't properly analysed the reality of life and the correct and APPROPRIATE uses of LEDs. For room illumination (the topic we are discussing) LEDs are s**te.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

What an asinine answer. You really don't know what you're talking about them do you?

Reply to
Jonno

"Jonno"

** Don't annoy me with tripe like this, Jonno.

YOU just demonstrated what an utter ASS you are.

Fuck off.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Trevor Wilson"

** Here are the latest and best performing white LED arrays:

No significant energy saving is mentioned - long life is the obviously biggie.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That was expected.!

Reply to
Jonno

**Indeed. Very impressive, though I'd like to know how they keep the damned thing cool. 600 Lumens from a 25 Watt LED array is nice, 'till you work out that the same light output can be obtained from a 6 Watt Fluoro. Wait 'till halides start going mainstream. They're already used in high end automobiles and they are even more efficient than fluoros. Very long lasting and robust too.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The answer was expected. Youre a nice guy in your own mind. Cant get your way and throw a tantrum. I asked a question. You delicately answered as is your nature. Nutz to you Phil, youre a safety hazard. I hope you dont drive. Road rage appears very likely with your type of instability.

Reply to
Jonno