leds to replace 50 watt halogen in a disco light

simple on this i hope,

i have a simple disco light in my games room, a 50 watt halogen light (12 volts i believe) shines onto a parabolic shaped disc covered with coloured mirror tiles, the disc rotated in time with the music, and projects a swirling pattern of light on the wall and floor.

i'd like to keep my power consumption low as all my machines pull a fair few (hundred of) watts each, so i was thinking of replacing the halogen bulb with a led array.

i'm guessing i need to be thinking of luxeon type led's, but what light output leds would i need? distance from the bulb holder to the mirror is about 3 inches, then it's reflected light is shone through a lens behind the bulb holder, so i imagine i'll need a few led's to cover the entire mirror surface (about 4 inches in diamiter)

Reply to
Gazz

An array of five, 3 watt Luxeon III devices would probably do it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I think if I was you, I would stick with the halogen bulb. Apart from the difficulties with correctly driving Luxeon (or similar) high power LEDs, I think that you will be disappointed with the resulting performance. Optics designed for use with a point source omni-directional light such as a filament bulb, do not work well with narrow angle flat plane sources such as LEDs or LED arrays.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

To replace a halogen color use this....

Get some lens, narrow is probably what you want. Drive it to 700 ma. and use heat sinking. Start out with one, and go from there.

greg

Reply to
GregS

500 ma. would be a safer current to start out with, thats about 3 watts, ther real rating of the device.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A different approach:

Geoff.

-- Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel snipped-for-privacy@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation. i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson