LED Christmas Light Failures

But don't forget to ask the company how long the chip will be produced. Last time I asked for the MAX3000A, Altera said, they can't guarantee the production for the next 5 years, but for the more expensive MAX II they can guarantee at least 7 years.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

5 volt compatibility is going to get harder and harder to find in the PLD chips. I have argued with vendors about this until I was blue in the face to no good. The bottom line is that it won't be too much longer before the only 5 volt compatibility will be by using a converter chip in between your PLD and the rest of the circuit. My current design was using a newer part without 5 volt compatibility and my customer gave a new requirement at the last moment (before PCB, but well after preliminary design review). Turns out one of the chips on his motherboard that is sharing the lines with my module is an old 5 volt powered multi-protocol line driver. So I had to add a couple of quick switch chips on a board that had very little room to begin with. It did work out, but it was not an easy board to route!

If you can do the job with 22V10s, fine. But at least consider that it may be easier or even fewer chips if you use a 3.3 volt PLD and something to provide isolation.

Reply to
rickman