687,000 Christmas Lights

The article says the Unionvale, NY fire department collects money for the local charities. The light display is synched with music.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Even if those lights are small LED's at 1/10w each that's 68,700w; 286A of 240v;

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

And we won't talk about the light pollution...

Sigh, I like Christmas light to some extent, but really, some of these displays get to be a bit much.

Bah! Humbug!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

John Robertson snipped-for-privacy@flippers.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The guy had a theme for you too. It said "STOP THAT".

I saw a guy at the gas station I grab a coffee from sometimes. He works there. An old Navy guy. The other day I saw him sitting outside havig his cigarette (yes at a gas station 25' from the pumps)and I noticed he had a string of Christmas lights draped around him like a Mexican bandito. I laughed and said "I'll bet you're glad that those are not the old 120 Volt jobs." and he laughed... Made me think of "Down Periscope", and so I said "Hey have you ever seen that movie "Down Periscope"? and he goes "No". I was like "No way!" and he said he had just bought it on DVD and had yet to sit down and watch it.

I am going to keep checking with him when I grab a coffee. The 'electrician' in that movie is hilarious... or the radioman or yeah... that guy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

100 mW sounds high for an LED Christmas light.

1.6 V at 10 mA per LED (16 mW) is nearer: total will be around 11 kW.
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

and consider, these mega-LED displays are just upstate NY area (WIBX broadcast area). We can assume such human excess-lighting is occuring all across our electrified earth. What's a little more global warming, to spread more cheer! eh?

cheerio, RS

Reply to
Richard Sulin

I wonder how many "Cray 1"s worth of compute power it has (read requires?) now over when it was first started.