The Story of LED Christmas Lights

I recall a palette load (5ft high) of LED Christmas lights disappearing in days at a department store. There everywhere!

Fk I made an LED Christmas tree using SMD LED's in 1998. It was controlled by an MCU. I had that thing lit up like a computer from some cheezy science fiction movie.

What I'd like to know is... Anyone here also feel like a dumbass on this missed opportunity? Is it an example of poor design foresight? Fkn LED Christmas Tree lights :(.. I'm so pissed I'm not even going to buy them. :)

Maybe someone will make a documentary entitled "The LED Christmas Tree Light Race."

Reply to
D from BC

But it's such an elementary thing, "inventing" them wouldn't have done much. They needed to wait for cheaper LEDs that were also bright enough before they could start happening.

This sort of thing is a mass-market item. It's not a niche where a relatively small group of people would be interested, and willing to pay large amounts in order to get them.

So you need a big company that can produce things in large quantities, to keep costs down and supply enough of the product (because in order to keep price down so people will buy profits have to be low and thus overall profit comes from selling lots of them), and who can get them into a large number of stores and maybe pay for advertising.

ANd it's such a generic item, the sorts of companies manufacturing them will be generic companies in China or thereabouts, either selling directly to the stores or to "known brands" that will put their name on the boxes before selling to the stores.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

was

opportunity?

[...]

------------- True...It is a large scale operation...I probably thought that years ago and I got chicken. But I wonder... I saw it coming...I could have prepared. Done the research..Made the drawings...Found the Chinese factories. I could have preplanned all the logistics and just waited for the right LED to come along. Set everything up. (In case of new LED break glass.)

And then..Boom! I'm on the telephone..LOAD THE MACHINES! CALL THE DISTRIBUTORS, THE BOAT IS ON THE WAY! :)

After 1 million phone calls and emails, I should be on the beach getting a massage from 2 hot chicks in bikinis :)

----------------

Reply to
D from BC

All of which dates from the old NE-2 twinkle lights.

Create a "wheel rim" of a few NE-2's. Put a 1 ufd capacitor to ground at each node and a 1 meg resistor to +90 at each node.

These were ancient history in 1956.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

But enough of a niche market was there over 5 years ago. You could have sold millions of sets in the US alone.

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to