LCD dimensions?

Are there any standards for hole fixing, display area etc?

I just remember getting burnt a few years ago on a 2 line by 8, not into the graphic ones , just the 1 and 2 liners.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

--- No, but there _is_ a lot of competition, so pretty much everybody makes what everybody else makes as far as the character display is concerned.

---

--- Yup. Sometimes the location of the I/O will be different, sometimes it'll be a single row header instead of double row, etc., etc.

Getting the data sheet, up front, with a dimensioned drawing will prevent a lot of heartburn. :-)

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

You jest?

Yeah, I know about the "dimensions", it took me hours to figure out densitron displays, for the CNC mob.

Then there is the other problem, COTS plastic enclosures, they cut out a nice little hole for a display, but never tell you which damn display they sized it on, no mounting pillars either ! grr^2

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

--
Not at all.

The last time I did a project with an LCD I found all the electrical
and dimensional data on the web .
Reply to
John Fields

oblem, COTS plastic enclosures, =A0they cut out a nice little hole for a di= splay, but never tell you which damn

You are making the mother of all assumptions here!! Do don't actually believe they had an LCD display in-hand when they made that hole??!

As for uniformity and continuing availability, here's one good reason to keep those old Digikey and Mouser catalogs around. (?)

Parts with long history and product lifetimes, ones that show up year- after-year, with multiple sources, are probably good bets. And a phone call to the manufacturer to confirm it as a "best seller" is also good insurance.

Also, cheap (less $$) parts tend to live longer. IMO.

One last thing, even if straight row pinout, don't expect uniformity. For example, the 16x2 (Digikey# 67-1781-ND / Lumex LCM-S01602DTR/M) is a classic example of A) the pins not being in the "normal" place relative to the screen position, and B) the pinout not being the same as all the other millions of characters LCD's we've seen in our lifetimes.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm