LCD with large active area versus outer dimensions

Hi

We have been getting some information on a FSTN LCD display we need, rarthe= r small, 20mm x 30mm. It is for an industrial product with 10years lifetime

The problem is when we specify a resolution of 64x64 pixels, the Y pixels a= re access by the LCD controller by routing on either side of the display do= ts (on the left and right side). But, this routing occupies space, so havin= g a display of 20mm outer dimension (x) actually only have an active area (= visible dots) of 12mm

So, I am trying to see if this is real or just from the manufactor we have = contacted. Anyone have worked with LCD and specs that can verify this? (tha= t the active area is reduced that much). We could reduce the number of y pi= xels, that will cause less routing and larger active area, but then the dis= play looks crude....

Also, maybe another alternative display?

Sofar we have gotten the feedback, that TFT is to expensive (and have probl= ems of availability due to sourcing to the mobile industry), CSTN (Color ST= N) is old tech and is obsolete shortly, OLED has very low lifetime (3 years= ).

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:26:16 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

It happens quite often, there is a large empty area before the pixels start in many (most?) LCDs.

There usually is a lot of drive electronics, and the besel (edge) too, so you will have to hide that too. Then why not use a bigger display and hode the part that has no data?

CTRTs last a very long time, old ones had phosphor all the way to the edge :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Some CRTs had it wrap around the edges for an inch or more, which was interesting on overscanned applications. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It seems that this thread is living in 1980s technology.

LCD panels with a large metal holder has a zebra strip connection for the glass to the pcb. That strip need to be compressed to get a connection.

Look at COG displays and you will find a larger active area.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:34:44 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

Used this in an a homebuild scope long time ago, DG7-32:

Jan Panteltje

Den fredag den 24. august 2012 15.57.12 UTC+2 skrev Jan Panteltje:

:-)

Looks nice, but it has to fit in a 20mm times 30mm box. Don't think CRTs come that small and with only 3V supply :-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 Aug 2012 01:14:01 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

:-)

that small and with only 3V supply :-)

The supply voltage can be fixed wit ha converter :-)

How about one of those cellphone displays, ebay has them I have seen them.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

edge :-)

that small and with only 3V supply :-)

There are also some small OLED displays- TI (nee Luminary) uses them on some of their dev boards. SPI interface, so not many wires.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany