LCD connectors, which do you prefer? 14pin DIP or SIP?

I'm putting the final touches on the Cricket Communicating Thermostat. I've added an LCD option but when I layout the PCB I'm not sure if I should use 7x2 or 14 pin inline pads. Seems LCDs have both and a few have 16 for the AK connections.

I'm tending towards the inline with the extra 2 pins. I don't want to include both as I'm trying to keep the cost & size down, might even try for a single sided PCB....

You can see the Cricket schematic at

Bill

Reply to
William at MyBlueRoom

7x2 is my preference, because you can then use IDC ribbon cable to connect them when positioned on a front panel.

Also, 2-row headers are more inclined to stay upright when soldering than

1-row headers.
Reply to
Kryten

7x2 is nice. 1x14 .100 is okay. 1x14 .050 is annoying (usually meant to be soldered to ribbon cable that terminates in 7x2).

I just ran into an LCD that swapped VCC/GND on the first two LCD pins, and I was so sure they wouldn't do that that I fried the first one. That's the nice thing about standards... so many to choose from.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

I used to use the phase "Highly Standardized".

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

I've done both 14-DIP and 7x2 header. Though the DIP IDC headers I use grip machined-pin DIP sockets like grim death (resistant to backing out), most of my designs use 7x2, 0.1" header.

Reply to
Michael

Many machined-socket DIP sockets are only designed for a single or very low number of insertion/removal cycles, as the socket is purposely & permanently deformed when you stick a DIP device in it. Hence the death grip...

I'd recommend a 7x2 0.1" header as well.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

They have barbs on the inside, like on a fishhook - they'll dig into the lead if you try to pull it out:

Cheers! Rich

[0] TinyURL is kewl! ;-)
Reply to
Rich Grise