LCD connectors, which do you prefer? 14pin DIP or SIP?

I'm putting the final touches on the Cricket Communicating Thermostat. I've added an LCD option but when I layout the PCB I'm not sure if I should use 7x2 or 14 pin inline pads. Seems LCDs have both and a few have 16 for the AK connections.

I'm tending towards the inline with the extra 2 pins. I don't want to include both as I'm trying to keep the cost & size down, might even try for a single sided PCB....

You can see the Cricket schematic at

Bill

Reply to
William at MyBlueRoom

Inline with 2 extra pins gets my vote.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I went for 8*2 (having had this decision recently), on the basis that I could resolve this with cable assemblies.

I made the backplane supply on the 2 extra pins a PCB link option. There seems to be variability in which way round the A/K supplies go.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

I keep envisioning a captive cricket being prodded, reporting the temperature by its chirping rate, and soft/hardware to capture and translate that chirp rate. The thermostat part might be handled by delta modulation of the heater output. :-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Hmmm. I could have been clearer.

I used a 16-way IDC header. That seemed to cover all my bases, given that I knew I needed a cable anyway (even if I had to solder the LCD module end connections).

If the OP is looking for a universal board-to-board connector, I don't think it's possible. There seems to be variation even within the range offered by any one of the main LCD module manufacturers. (Including the A/K pins.)

Steve (who recently took delivery of a batch of modules where the A/K pins were incorrectly marked on the backlight...)

Steve at fivetrees

We use hundreds of different types, I stronly suggest 14pin in line with room for the 15th and 16th then anything will fit for sure. People chance LCDs alot because the price can vary greatly. For 4x20 char lines ones we have paid from 6$ to over 50$ in just a the last 2 years.

Reply to
DAC

I got hold of some that needed -19V for the back light (im guess 24V is needed with help from the 5V).... some crazy stuff out there.

Reply to
DAC