High-value resistors and leakage

I'm contemplating a voltage divider featuring a 10M-ohm resistor, to sense voltage on a several-hundred volt line without stealing too much current. I've never done something with quite such a spectacularly high resistance, and I know that it's getting into effects that one otherwise doesn't have to take into account.

Clearly, an 0603 chip with any old manufacturing process may give me a little bit more variation than I really want, not to mention spacing issue with my conductors.

So -- what sort of suggestions, comments, etc., do you have for me? What's the best way to skin this particular cat, so that the resistance doesn't change by more than a percentage point or two?

(alternate suggestions on zero-current ways to measure a few hundred volts are welcome, too).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Look at the voltage specs on the components. They're often overly optimistic.

Is this for a product? If so, look up "creepage" and "air clearance".

PTH resistors?

Reply to
krw

It is, which is why I want to collect all the info I can not just for effects in a one-time circuit, but what might cause problems down the road.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"Tim Wescott is an eWanker"

** ROTFL !!! 10Gohm is a high resistance, 10 Mohm is totally hum drum.

** Do tell...........

** Get real, for a start.
** Assuming you have about 500 volts DC, best use a leaded component designed for high voltage.

A Philips VR25 or VR37 is one option.

If you MUST use SMD, then go for a series string of at least 5 resistors (

1206 size) that total 10M.

The voltage ratings given to ordinary film resistors ( 250, 350 volts etc) are largely fictional and have nothing to do with long term stability and reliability at such voltages.

The rule here is: " Divide and Conquer ".

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For a couple of hundred volts, I'd say don't worry too much. I presume you have a DMV that can handle a couple of hundred volts? Just hack one of them and see how they handle it. Why reinvent the same old wheel? Especially when you only have to hold "a percentage point or two?" When I was in the military, we routinely repaired electronics that handled thousands of volts, and there was nothing exotic about them at all, other than the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" signs all over the shop. :-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

AC or DC? Is the voltage present 24/7 or just occasionally? Any transients to allow for?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Multiple series resistors. I've seen multiple resistors on font ends of opamps measuring voltage in the range of 700vdc. A big med manufacturer, no failures. It also minimizes the Voltage coefficient on the resistors. Or you can get a nice Cadock resistor and plug it in there.

The thought of a Mill slot under the resistor comes to mind, or go thru hole for the upper arm of the divider.

Also keep the Upper arm and the lower sense resistor in the same thermal location.

Martin Riddle

Use a flatso and put conformal coating on the loop components after assembly.

Even 'coffee breath' can cause a value change or failure mode at high values.

Reply to
Naomi Price

I would use an axial leaded resistor for the large valued "upper" resistor in the divider. Almost a must for handling the voltage standoff requirements reliably.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

"Naomi Price"

** Flatso = one of these ???

** 10Mohms is not that high.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

DC, low likelihood of transients. I'm mostly concerned with knowing how much I need to worry about fingerprints, "no clean" flux turning conductive, whether I need to conformal coat or not, etc.

It's looking like a through-hole part on the high side is a popular suggestion, I'll see how that flies with the production folks.

--

www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

10M is no problem for, say, an 0805 at hundreds of volts. If you want accuracy, use thinfilms, which will require several in series, since they are hard to find in high values.

If a couple per cent accuracy is good enough, a couple of regular thickfilm 1% resistors will do. Check their data sheets and make sure the voltage coefficient is OK.

John

Right, so look up the two terms and related specs. There is a lot of information on the net (unfortunately, not the specs themselves) that appears to be pretty good. It would be a good discussion but I don't see any takers.

It's not obvious stuff, and I'm certainly no expert, just having dipped my toe into these waters, but it certainly looks to me like component manufacturers stretch the truth, a lot. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I wouldn't worry too much about fingerprints etc., but I have seen 1% resistors drift 30+% with HV dc applied. Vishay/BC (formerly Philips) VR25/HVR25 resistors would have been my choice years ago, but these guys might be okay for a modern design:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Flatso means 'flat Silicon Oxide' IIRC. They are metal film on SiO substrate.

You can get them coated or uncoated, but without encapsulation, coated is the only way to keep the value.

Yes, 10M Ohms is not that high, and a radial leaded HV (VR25) package would probably be just fine.

Reply to
Naomi Price

The IEC spec forces low-to-the-board placement, so you may have to explain to them that there are cases where the EIC spec can be foregone, and mount it slightly elevated.

Reply to
Naomi Price

I once measured 30kV using a motor-driven rotary capacitor.

After all the real equation is....

I = d/dt(C*V).

If V is DC, this reduces to I = V*(dC/dt) ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

http://www.caddock.com/Online_catalog/Mrktg_Lit/TypeUSVD_HVD.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

I usually use several 1206 resistors in series. The number of resistors depend on the rated voltage of the resistors.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

We use 1206 melf resistors MMB 0207 professional range. These have a pulse rating of 1kV and 35W. We use 6 in seires on 600V and have never had a failed resistor.

Reply to
Raveninghorde