KiCad Spice, Anyone Tried It?

AFAIR the current world champion is a former dentist.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Tough cookies, buttercup.

I design electronics that works and sells, and you don't.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This does not sound correct. What problem are you trying to solve?

If I recall, one could choose threads to have local (to the process) scheduling scope, or global scheduling scope (at the level of processes, in effect. I'm pretty sure that POSIX provides that, and Linux and Posix largely overlap in such things.

Absolutely. It's an embedded computer, not a general-purpose computer.

The way I've seen this done in big radars is by use of Linux/Posix realtime scheduling policies:

.

And yes, shared memory windows are widely used.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

If an operational amplifier is the processing unit, this is already the case for a large category of applications.

Reply to
whit3rd

So, a firmware EPROM (that has to be yanked and physically replaced in order to change the firmware) is... hardware?

And a bug in the firmware is a hardware bug if 't s EPROM, but a software bug if it's a flash ROM?

Reply to
whit3rd

:)

And somebody once calculated that about 10% of the top glider pilots had died, far more than the general glider pilot population. That's unsurprising when you realise they choose to fly close to the edge of the envelope.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Or fuse programmable logic, or programmed/unprogrammed FPGAs, or the one time programmable MCUs costing $0.03 each, or a microcoded processor, or...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Clearly neither of you guys can tell the difference between a computer (which can break your toe if you drop it) and the programs that it runs (which can't.)

Too much abstraction has that effect on people. Nuance creates paralysis.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Correct :)

False.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Wait what! The compiler determined that big calc had no side-effects somehow?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

I had an interesting discussion once about whether FPGAs used software, firmeware or something else. It lasted quite a while with strong opinions.

It's silly to even talk about software and hardware separately. Neither is much good without the other. But then many of the points Larkin makes are silly whether or not they are accurate.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Well I learned some things from your posts, so thank you!

Reply to
Chris Jones

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots. I'm old.

--

-TV
Reply to

And I'm too old :(

Here are a couple of envelope-pushing videos. The first is hooning around doing a "Thomas Crown Affair (1968)", the second using ground effect to get home in a competition.

Some droll comment on the latter, e.g. "thats not where I would have started my circuit but keep going" :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I appreciate that feedback.

(I've learned a few things from other peoples' posts in this group too. Not many - the noise to signal ratio is very high here - but a few.)

Reply to
David Brown

Yes. It can see the definition of "big_calc", and thus knows all about it - including that it has no side-effects or observable behaviour. So it can be inlined in foo() and optimised in a variety of ways, including inter-weaving with other code in foo().

(The compiler must also generate a function "big_calc" that can be called from other units - I didn't bother pasting that into the post. I recommend playing around with these things in if you want to see what happens. Don't forget compiler flags like "-O2

-Wall -Wextra" to help out.)

Reply to
David Brown

Not necessarily.

Consider one aspect of intel chipsets, the System Management Interrupt (SMI).

Those have delightful characteristics:

- generated by power management hardware, so unless you include "hot and high" tests, one might not occur

- higher priority than NMI

- invisible to the operating system and software

- can't intercept them because they don't have a vector in the CPU

- when generated, the CPU goes into a special mode

- can last hundreds of microseconds

You can disable them, but that risks the processor burning.

Did you know those existed? Does something equivalent exist in other chipsets?

FFI,

Tom Gardner

See my other post about intel processors' System Management Interrupt.

SMIs wouldn't have been noticed in my application, but they could screw applications running nearer the metal and with tighter time constraints.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

20 billion is enough for me. Every interrupt is visible, and I can add. We avoid dynamic memory allocation and garbage collection and such as much as we can. Once I get a risk so low that it doesn't materially affect MTBF, I can ignore it. As far as we know, the Zynq/Linux things are reliable in the field. It wouldn't explode if it missed a few interrupts per week anyhow.

What would you do? Analyze the source code of Linux for a decade or two? Formally prove the system to be correct?

Some of our products are just the Zynq on a board with parts, some are MicroZeds, and I just got a couple of PicoZeds to play with.

Intel for anything real? For anything reliable? You are joking, of course.

One of our friends had the Liniux kernel re-written to make it more real-time. We don't need to do that, because we have the option to move time-critical stuff into the FPGA fabric.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

And that is the sensible part of your response, and one of the many reasons why people need to understand hardware and software, their tradeoffs, and where to set the boundary between them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner