KICAD help anyone?

Is KICAD now belly-up? ALL references i had are dead in one way or another.

Is there anyway to import EAGLE file to KICAD (assuming KCAD is available and works)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Still there, just downloaded 4.0.6

Hack-a-Day has an article on importing Eagle brd and sch.

Martin Riddle

DAMN! The shitiest site ever! Almost ZERO contrast; impossible to read as-is. So, pray tell how do i find that article? (Since i am a Baer) fur example what title do i look for? ...933 Results fur "eagle to kicad" Viewed about 150 titles, Kicad not mentioned. ...743 Results fur "kicad" Viewed about 150 titles, Eagle mentioned, a few articles,not useful: Project log from snapVCC Moved to kicad Moved from EAGLE to kicad with help from -- NOPE!

Hacker page by oshpark Native Kicad upload Continuing with our goal to simplify Open -- NOPE!

There were more projects following these, but still no cigar.

Help? thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I find th ebest way to search most web sites is by using Google.

Check the third hit.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Thanks. Have 5.12.0; so scheme not viable.

Then i got the (recent) student version which i found 120% useless, so tossed it. That was an unstated 64-bit win7 app. My PC hardware will not accept 64-bit stuff; Win7 crashes early during OS install. In fact, i had to do a bit of fudging to get 32-bit Win7 running, and more junk to get all of it working.

I thought to try making Gerbers, but that fails (wheel has no apertures). DOA.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I seem to recall the older version of Gerber files put the apertures in a separate file. Can you look for that?

But I don't know how Gerbers will be of much help. I don't think there is a way to go from Gerber to layout is there?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well. I am un-impressed. Extremely difficult if not impossible to create even a simple board outline. CONTINUOUS mouse movements necessary else get jaggies and discontinuous pieces.

NO WAY TO EDIT via given program. Had to use a text editor to fix the .kicad_pcb file to properly fix the "(gr_line (start..." lines.

The "help" doc is in error; one CANNOT "zero" or reset co-ordinates with the space-bar (ignored).

There are NO mounting holes in the 3.86 to 4.04 mm region; no other size will do for the Mouser 561-MTP500 "ball" top post, which are perfect for snap-in mounting of a PCB (#21 drill).

Diodes.THT DO-15 P2.54 mm looks shorted; and the pads look too damn large; a standard layout in other CAD programs give up to 0.1 spacing allowance.

Cannot select ANY footprint.

Yes, Kicad is Really Swift.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hack-day site is almost total sh*t; damn-near black font on black background. Impossible to find article inside UL. "Instructions" set a very high bar, seriously inhibiting usefulness.

Reply to
oil4lessllc

Well. I am un-impressed. Extremely difficult if not impossible to create even a simple board outline. CONTINUOUS mouse movements necessary else get jaggies and discontinuous pieces.

NO WAY TO EDIT via given program. Had to use a text editor to fix the .kicad_pcb file to properly fix the "(gr_line (start..." lines.

The "help" doc is in error; one CANNOT "zero" or reset co-ordinates with the space-bar (ignored).

There are NO mounting holes in the 3.86 to 4.04 mm region; no other size will do for the Mouser 561-MTP500 "ball" top post, which are perfect for snap-in mounting of a PCB (#21 drill).

Diodes.THT DO-15 P2.54 mm looks shorted; and the pads look too damn large; a standard layout in other CAD programs give up to 0.02 spacing allowance.

Cannot select ANY footprint.

Yes, Kicad is Really Swift.

Reply to
oil4lessllc

That's for sure. I go nearly blind reading that crap site. They know this bothers people and have indicated they don't care. At least I recall reading this somewhere, but I can't recall where. It is hard to imagine they have not received a ton of feedback on the colors.

What is a UL?

Not sure what this means.

--

Rick C