kelvin varley divider schematic or theory info ?

Hi all,

I'm looking for info on a kelvin varley voltage divider. I tried Yahoo, Lycos and Google. They all return hits on it but nothing of any real use. I even tried to search for a book on Amazon.com. No much luck either. We need a few of these at work and some company wants to charge us $500 a piece. They have 4 rotary switches (each from 0-9). I understand that the resistor ladder has a high tolerance but $500 ?! ouch!

Could someone point me in the right direction to find some info on the subject please. Maybe that's why these things are so expensive, there is no info :-).

Thanks

Reply to
Rodo

It's not only the super-precise resistors, but the high-quality low-resistance switches that make them expensive. You can find them on eBay for $50 to $500. For example, this top-of-the-line 7-digit Fluke 720A is at $393 with 4 bids and 80-minutes to go,

Other less-precise models go for less money, such as 99 cents,

No, those look the same, but are called ratio transformers. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

What about this one, four digits, but only $10.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

e=2E

A Blumlein bridge uses a transformer for two of the arms. IIRR the Kelvin-Varley decade bridge had sets of eleven resistors, and one would parallel two of them with a divider whose resistance was nominally equal to the sum of the two resistors being parallelled, to allow you to sub-divide in decades

The British National Physical Laboratory at Teddingon sells a "good practice" guide for measuring reistance and impedance below 1MHz that ought cover the Kelvin-Varley bridge. For 25 UK pounds it would be a lot cheaper than a bridge.

"Alternating current bridge methods, for the measurement of inductance, capacitance, and effective resistance at low and acoustic frequencies" by B Hague seems to be available from Amazon if you want to spend a bit more money.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Sounds good. The last time I priced the concentric-dial kind, they were $1500.

But a 16-bit DAC can be had for a few dollars.

John

A very beautiful post Tony!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yahoo,

use. I

need

piece.

resistor

is no

Rodo,

You didn't try "kelvin varley voltage divider theory" using Google or you would have found this -

James T. White
Reply to
James T. White

"Rodo" a écrit dans le message de news:4VGxf.38404$v84.14495@trnddc06...

need

resistor

no

These are not made of resistors, at least not I know of, but with accurate ratio transformers, which are more accurate and stable.

And given the accuracy you obtain for the price it seems OK to me. Oh, you're not telling us you expect few PPMs for $10, don't you?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

One good way to get a high-performance Kelvin-Varley divider at a reasonable price is to buy a Fluke 343A on eBay, and use the Kelvin-Varley inside. These come up from time to time, and usually go for under $150, as this example shows:

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Correction, looking at the manual, I suspect that instrument doesn't use a Kelvin-Varley divider. Sorry!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The switches need to be 2-pole, with low resistance contacts. 4-decades requires the MSB resistors matched to within 1 part in 10000 over all ambient conditions. $500 is not a bad price.

Below is a 4-decade Kelvin-Varley. It uses 3x 2 pole rotaries and 1x 1 pole. Vin | 10 +--o +---+--o +---+--o +---+--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | 9 | | 9 | | 9 | | 9 +--o | +--o | +--o | +--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | 8 | | 8 | | 8 | | 8 +--o | +--o | +--o | +--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | 7 | | 7 | | 7 | | 7 +--o | +--o | +--o | +--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | 6 | | 6 | | 6 | | 6 +--o | +--o | +--o | +--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | 5 | | 5 | | 5 | | 5 +--o | +--o | +--o | +--o | | | | | | | R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | *4* /|\\ | | 4 | | 4 | | 4 +--o

Reply to
Tony Williams

I did a chip for "qrk" and company that had a 9-bit KV DAC used for tuning gm-C filters... tricky in that the successive sections had buffer amplifiers to prevent loading and avoid section-matching issues.

...Jim Thompson

 Anyone can be rude, but it takes a Democrat to be a real dirtbag.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to
bill.sloman

The obligatory typo.....

The switch positions on the dials for the first three decades is the position *between* the 2 poles. Vout= 0.3211*Vref for the above sketch.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

GR made a "decade voltage divider" that's a k-v. It looks a lot like one of their decade resistor boxes, and even old ones are stunningly accurate. Inside are manganin-wire resistors wound on mica cards.

And the old AC ratio boxes, full of transformers, show up on ebay. They're accurate to a few ppm.

John

Look around on Ebay for used Fluke differential voltmeters, such as the model 885, 887, etc. They all use a KV divider behind the dial switches. Damn good resistors too. As I remember, they are matched to a few PPM, and have excellent tempco. They have a vernier pot in the last position as well. There are manuals with schematics for some of the older Fluke DVMs on the web... One caveat, if you decide to try this route, is that the KV dividers used in these instruments may not be able to handle the voltage that you need to impose upon them. What voltage levels will you be working with??

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

I second that.

IMO, no self-respecting lab should be without one.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I still use a homebuilt 4-decade K-V, built about 25 years ago, (which is why I know something about it). :)

The K-V has the advantage that it only needs resistors to be accurately matched, easily done with a simple Wheatstone Bridge. A cheap way of getting a precision voltage attenuator if you are poor.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

What do you use it for?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Not that often these days Fred. Used to do a lot of precision analogue instrumentation though. In the early days of being self-employed you usually have more time than money, so building your own test equipment can be a neccessity.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to