LCD backlight out in car radio

The backlight on the LCD display of our car radio has failed. I guess it's the backlight -- I'm not even sure of terminlogy. At any rate it allows you to read the panel in the dark. When it was working, its brightness was variable and was controlled by the same pot that varied the other dashboard lamps. A search of newsgroup threads about repairing such things suggests that it's just an incandescent bulb or two behind the panel that need(s) replacing. Is there any reason to fear that the backlight for this radio might be more complicated and/or hard to obtain?

-- Charles Packer

mailboxATcpacker.org

Reply to
Charles Packer

Gee Charles:

There are thousands of different cars and radios out there. Could you narrow it down a bit?

Reply to
BH

If the backlight is incandescent it isn't usually a big deal to replace.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Check the wiring first.

Yes, it could easily be LED lighting, not incandescent.

Either getting a schematic or disassembly will answer your questions, AFTER you check to be 100% sure that the wiring to the head unit is still properly functioning.

Reply to
PeterD

You'd have to include a LOT more information for anyone to comment on your specific problem.

One rather salient point is that on many cars, actually *getting the radio out* of the dash is more complicated than actually repairing it...not that the actual repair would be trivial to someone with no prior experience. If you're expecting a socket on the outside of the box, where you simply unscrew and screw in a replacement--like a fuse, or the lightbulb in your closet--forget it.

Any car radio backlight is deeply embedded in radio itself, and not conducive to user replacement.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Keep in mind that this article was posted in a "repair" news group with the description of "fixing electronic equipment." Personally, I usually inquire the poster regarding their level mechanical dexterity and their rudimentary understanding if any of electronic repairs before condemning them to offing the repair to a pay for service. Lots of newbies come here on a daily basis seeking this kind of advice. Some can be walked through it, some can't.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's almost certainly incandescent. Replacing the bulbs isn't hard once you get to them, but that can be really tricky. Finding exact replacements can be tough tool.

Reply to
James Sweet

Considering that we don't know anything about the car, the radio or the poster (although the latter so far has not betrayed much technical acumen)...and further understanding that this is really two jobs: disassembling the (unknown) car to get at the radio; then disassembling the radio itself, finding and replacing the (unknown) backlight (if indeed the part is replaceable), reassembling the radio...and the car.

That's one long walk.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I'm experienced at electronics work. The unit is Subaru original equipment. Other threads about LCD backlight problems lead me to believe that the bulbs still might be standard ones carried by Radio Shack, though soldering will be required to remove and replace. I've also removed and replaced car stereo units, and this, I know, is where most of the time is expended. Once you get it out, according to one thread, you just remove the top of the radio to get behind the LCD panel. Well, this one has the CD player on top, so I don't know how that will affect ease of access to the innards.

-- Charles Packer

mailboxATcpacker.org

Reply to
Charles Packer

Well that's all fine and dandy but you've basically just restated what you wrote previously.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I spent quite some time doing warranty repair on aftermarket mobile audio. Be sure your repair is done in a well lighted area free of clutter. Have some containers handy for screws and other small parts. Use a low wattage pencil style soldering iron. Good common sense, soldering and mechanical skills are needed.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeah. In my experience it'll be a #9173 bulb, 0.19V @ 8.62A, which some single store in Secaucus has for $81.72 used. Substitutes won't. You'll have to remove three quarters of the electronics and seven eights of the mechanics to see the bulb and then remove the rest to replace it.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause