Is this plausible - remote EEG

"Apparatus for and method of sensing brain waves at a position remote from a subject whereby electromagnetic signals of different frequencies are simultaneously transmitted to the brain of the subject in which the signals interfere with one another to yield a waveform which is modulated by the subject's brain waves. The interference waveform which is representative of the brain wave activity is re-transmitted by the brain to a receiver where it is demodulated and amplified. The demodulated waveform is then displayed for visual viewing and routed to a computer for further processing and analysis. The demodulated waveform also can be used to produce a compensating signal which is transmitted back to the brain to effect a desired change in electrical activity therein."

My feeling is that the modulated feedback would be at too low an amplitude to be useful using normal electronics tech, esp at 100MHz which is a pretty crowded part of the spectrum. Shielded rooms and SQUIDs? However, I'd like some second opinions.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Complete nonsense IMO. In what way could the RF probe possibly "interfere" with the low frequency microvolt level EEG within the brain, detectable at the recieving antenna?

Non-contact EEG has been extensively investigated but no one has ever made it work to a useful extent, because in most environments as you get away from the surface of the head your signal is too far below the common mode noise you need to reject. Not even mechanically attached capacitivly coupled electrodes can do the job, the impedance is too high at the few Hz frequencies of interest to deliver a usable signal anywhere outside a shielded room.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

The voltage levels within the brain could be at hundreds of millivolts, the depolarization potential of the neurons. But from one part of the brain to another, the depolarizations won't be synchronized, so a gross RF probe might get millivolt or microvolt resultants (if it worked at all), just like at the scalp surface.

It sounds like crackpot stuff to me, too. A Google search seems to link the patent to a lot of black helicopter/aluminum hat stuff. The "Description of the preferred embodiment" in the patent seems to be equivalent to "If I did it - here's how it happened." A 100 MHz wave with a wavelength of 3 m seems like a blunt tool to pick up brain waves in a 0.15 m head.

There are some squid-based MEGs that measure brain activity without electrically connecting to the head, but the ones here have 155 sensors to get spatial resolution:

John
Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Easily countered by tinfoil hats.

Remember: Shiny side out.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

How about 2.4GHz? I've got a spare magnetron lying around.

Note to the humor-impaired: Don't try this.

Reject nihilism!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I was wondering if there's some (non-linear?) interaction been discovered that would make it more feasible. However, like another posters says, 100MHz seems like too low a frequency as well. If anything like this is possible I'd guess it would be in the centimeter wavelength region.

And since someone did a search and connected with the usual paranoid mind control stuff I can guess where the 100MHz comes from - deadly FM rays being emitted secretly from radio stations.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Why? All it takes is to trick the switch on a uwave oven with ones head inside.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Which reminds me - someone somewhere must have tried to commit suicide like this. Any depressed EEs come to mind?