is this analogy is correct?

Case(a):

If we connect the '+' end of the bulb to the one of the wires of the electric pole and '-' to the earth, would the bulb illuminates or not?

Case(b):

If we touch the one of the wires of the electric pole with right hand and the left hand to the Earth, would we feel the electric shock or not?

Both cases are same, but instead of the bulb, if we replace the it with a human he can feel the shock, but the bulb will not illuminates.

what type of logic is this =-O ?

--

  have a nice time
Reply to

I will go with the II one; but, I want to hear more reasons as I'm not completely satisfied :-\\ with the above one.

so, at the end the conclusion is

Current is and will always present in "Closed" circuits. But, not in open.

--

  have a nice time
Reply to

ld

ting

Who is this "we"? Do you have a frog in your pocket?

Dunno about you, but I don't start to feel shocks until 40 VDC or so. Although I hear you can feel 9V if you place the terminals on your tongue... :D

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Figure it out yourself.

No.

Reply to
Cwatters

Probably - but it depends on the conductivity between the two earth points.

Reply to
Cwatters

Not sure I follow your description but the resistance of the human body is quite high - so depending on the circuit you are constructing it may effect the current and prevent the bulb illuminating.

It is possible for humans to detect voltages down to about half a volt depending on where that voltage is applied on the body. Try putting your tounge between the terminals of a PP9 9V battery and see if you can detect that. Not everyone can.

Reply to
Cwatters

s.

Yep, had a feeling... so in a tropical environment with wet soil, probably better luck than in Winnemucca, NV or Phoenix, AZ in the summertime, eh? :D

Michael

Reply to
Michael

No, there isn't, at least not a continuous one.

A current will flow for a short time when the wire first starts to move through the field. But electrons will start to build up at one end of the circuit, and the resulting negative charge will tend to stop further electrons from flowing in. Similarly, the other end of the circuit will acquire a positive charge due to electrons flowing away from it, which will tend to attract the electrons back. Soon an equilibrium is reached, and no more current flows.

If you close the circuit, then electrons can flow all the way around without building up in any one place, so a continuous current is possible.

--
Greg
Reply to

Some current will probably flow, because the earth then forms part of a closed circuit. Whether it's enough to light the bulb depends on the conductivity of the soil and the rating of the bulb.

--
Greg
Reply to

That depends on how conductive the pole is. You certainly have the potential to feel a shock, because one side of the mains supply (called the "neutral") is connected to the earth, and so is the pole.

I strongly recommend that you do NOT try this experiment!

--
Greg
Reply to

Potentially, yes. If the wire that you touch it to is the "live" side of the supply, current will flow, because of the neutral side being connected to earth.

If a current flows in one case, it will also flow in the other case, although the amount of current will be different, because most light bulbs have a much lower resistance than a human body does from one hand to the other.

Whether the current is enough to light the lamp or cause the human to feel a shock depends on details such as the conductivity of the pole and the soil.

--
Greg
Reply to

Not always -- it's possible to have a closed circuit with no current flowing in it.

What you can say is that it's *possible* for a continuous DC current to flow in a closed circuit, but not in an open circuit.

--
Greg
Reply to