Is microprocessor an integrated circuit???

This is why any one person does not know everything. Its far too big of a technology to have seen and done it all. A person could go thru life only knowing the Mac OS. Or mechanics who have never seen the automatic manual clutch on an old VW bug and cant believe it exists

I suppose we can be sure that we all have applied a loose definition and are upset when someone else calls it another thing. We wouldnt disagree that a byte is 8 bits

Ive heard people call the TRS-80 a mainframe, because in support manuals of old, it would say connect the cable to the port of the main frame or whatever;

Mechanics sometimes call the 4 wheel drive transfer as a "transfer case" but its called the transfer.

Reply to
Bradley1234

I dont recall saying the PDP 11 or 11/780 were microprocessors, I said their respective cpu boards were. They sure werent analog.

the PDP11 was a mini computer, the 11/780 was much larger and more expensive, and was a super-mini.

The best of the time was the Control Data Cyber 170, a giant, water cooled monster with vector scan graphics crt. That was the epitome of mainframe.

Reply to
Bradley1234

Again, aint everyone knows everything. its like saying Passenger Car, we just say car. Or utility vehicle became pickup truck, then truck. Now suv has made a comeback. Too bad SUVs are haunted and evil trying to destroy the world

Right so if anyone called a giant tube computer system and all its peripherals, a microprocessor? that would be incorrect.

Maybe we should now argue what the word computer means. It must only refer to the person using the machine, not the machine.... (yeah right)

Reply to
Bradley1234

See what I mean?

A byte is 8 bits, except maybe in a parity memory system when its 9 bits

So in the C language you can say "a literal byte" is other than 8 bits?

Are you sure thats not a Char? which can be 16 bits?

We wouldnt disagree that a

Bradley1234

Oh christ. You don't recall saying that microprogrammed processors where microprocessors? Is your memory that short or are you truly a troll?

Reply to
TCS

Sure send me $450 to purchase the spec, and Ill felch thru it, that seems like a cromulent arrangement to me

In hardware, a byte is 8 bits, period, case closed

In the C language it has to represent -127 to + 127, hey thats a coincidance

8 bits gives you that.

Well Ive never seen anywhere (in reality) where people in the business use a byte for more than 8 bits. There can be a byte embedded within a 32 bit word, if the bus width is 32b, since when would that be called a byte?

Aside from pointing to data on the surface of the moon we cannot read here online, like specs costing $$ can you show where a byte is used for more than 8 bits in the software industry?

Bradley1234

Yeah, that L*rk*n fellow is a viper. Always attacking. And a terrible employee, I'll bet. You might want to hold off on posting as long as he's around here.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Now here is the sure-fire way to discern the incompetent, unqualified, pretentious individual anywhere in the industry, anyone who would start out by saying something to the effect of "Your limited experience..." or "Since you are so inexperienced, but me, Im so worldly and all knowing..." or "You should leave the high tech concepts to people who are more experienced..."

Ive seen them in the industry, they hide the lack of ability by being the first to call others incompetent, everything is rehearsed, they dont like people watching them solve problems, they form into tight cliques and launch office politics type attacks to defend their job. I seek out that attitude, if I find it in my company? The person is fired about as surely as Donald Trump fires people for his reasons.

The byte is 8 bits, even when its 9 bits its still 8 bits! The extra bit is parity and is not part of the data.

In computer memory, a byte is 8 bits, all standard addressing schemes are based upon the byte level addressing.

The K&R type of C, or the ANSI C seem to use the type byte as 8 bits wide, I ask for industry examples of a non-8 bit byte, the Wikipedia endorses what Ive said

How about the use of byte since 1957? or since the first microprocessor, the 4004 in 1971?

Reply to
Bradley1234

Oh, the one I found was $399.00 eighteen bucks, thats not bad.

Bradley1234

seems

You think I havent read the spec before? I dont have the thing sitting here because its not needed for SW dev.

Ive seen it, there are lots of essay style sections, sub sections, legal looking and not many pictures, I like books with pictures in them

Im working on that, easier to squeeze water from a rock, those crooks.

coincidance

So you would say that in 8 bits (aka a "byte") you cannot represent the range of -127 to +127? What would your math teacher say?

You are a processor developer? Are you familiar with the use of signed/unsigned numbers?

Oh suuuuure there are, and in South American jungles a byte can be 3 bamboo sticks? You may be confusing byte with word, a word is a variable width unit that is relative to the architecture of the processor or application. A byte is 8 bits today, even when its 9 bits.

No, it leaves the definition open. In the typical limits.h, the word byte is 8 bits, its like saying an inch can be whatever length you want it to be. To machinists? they stick to a set standard.

use a

Yet you havent shown where people, today, in business, use the byte for MORE than 8 bits? Not in some novelty scenario 40 years ago thats long gone, does Intel use a non 8-bit byte? Xilinx? Altera? Microsoft?

here

Yes Ive heard of Octal, yes some people for a particular era/industry adopted the word byte for 6 bits. The originator made it 8 bits which has lasted and is the standard. In hardware, are there any non 8 bit byte devices?

Do you use 2629 code? Hollerith punched cards? if not, why not? I want, no I demand all computers today be equipped with a Hollerith punched card reader that uses 2629 code.

Reply to
Bradley1234

No I don't. YOu thought it was megabucks, so couldn't be bothered to buy one (for $18). You're now showing that on top of being ignoran, your're stupid, and now a liar. ...not a good day, overall.

None of which you've read or understood (or even seen - see above). You were told somethign by your third-rate teachers at your fourth-rate college (if you got that far) and believe them. Get a refund. They defrauded you.

Si you admit that you're pig ignorant, but assume the rest of the world has had an education as "good" as yours? Sorry, some of us have had very good teachers. Experience; lots of it. Open minds help too. You should try it some time.

You are not only pig-ignorant, now you're adding *stupid* to the mix. A "byte" is *not* defined as an eight-bit entity (as JL has said, that would be the definition of an "octet"). Of course there are 256 possible values of an 8-bit entity (ignoring representations with two values for zero, for instance). That's not the point! A byte is *not* universally defined as being eight bits. Not nowhere, not nohow. It may be defined as being eight buts for a particular ISA, but it's not a universal definition.

Give me a f****ng break. I was doing binary arithmetic when your father was still s*****ng yellow.

You're hopeless. *I* didn't write the above you retard! I'm quoting from the site referenced. Did you even do the search I suggested? Of course not. You're happy with your ignorance.

Can you f****ng read? (that's a rhetorical question, sicne your postings show that you clearly cannot).

Retard, you were arguing not a half-day ago that ninety thousand years ago a "microprocessor" was defined as being a processor that was microcoded (absolutely wrong). Now you decide that all processors made *today* have eight-bit bytes, thus a byte is *defined* to be 8-bits.

The fact is that you're wrong, twice. In fact you haven't been right about anything yet. ...but are pig-headed enough to continue on fighting your 0-n-2 record. Give it up and flip burgers. You'll be a lot less dangerous in a McD's.

You are off-the-chart stupid. A 6-bit byte is *still* a byte, whether it's represented in octal or not. The "originator" of the term "byte" did

*not* specify it as 8-bits. In fact it was IBM that standardized on 8-bits, *after* the term was already in use. Sheesh!

Stupid is as stupid types.

Anyone else reading along will see that you're hopeless and won't go down the quagmire you call a road. I feel sorry for anyone who has to pick up your messes.

--
   Keith

>> --
>>   Keith
Reply to
keith

In article , Bradley1234 wrote: [...]

There are many examples where the addressing is on a word basis and the word is not 8 bits long. The DEC-10 was a very nice example of this. It addressed 36 bit words and had 7 or 9 bit characters depending on the application.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Most of them have their control unit logic implemented in a PLA (Programmable Logic Array) which directly implements a two level logic equation. With microcode, there would be an address that was decoded to provide a word (or row) of the ROM's contents. There's no such thing as an address in a PLA, just inputs and outputs.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

In article , Keith Williams wrote: [...]

With "10 bit byte" in google. I quickly found a newish (2003) document that speaks of 10 bit bytes written by IBM of all people.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Hisssss. Or something.

John

The term wasn't used before ("microcode" and "microcoded processor" were). And your arithmetic is close enough, but I did say "over". ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

One can also argue (rightly) that a PLA is nothing but a sparse ROM, thus microcode. The instruction decoder "PLA" in the processor I work on is synthesized into gates. Is that a "PLA", "microcode", or "hard- wired"? Thar be dragons... ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

If you have a PLA and a ROM in a black box, and are allowed to observe the outputs only after they have settled, what difference is there between the two?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[Lotsa stuff ...]

Better ask for that refund for your mathematics curriculum too. If Western Digital were to define the byte that way, they would have to declare half as much storage stated in their form of bytes.

On the rest, your foot is inserted so far into your mouth that I suspect your toes are showing up, brown.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Oh, go away before I hit you with my purse.

John