ASIC costs

Presuming a lot of things:

Solution 1: No ASIC: Put the embedded micro, 500 macrocells into an FPGA. Get rid of (almost) all the analog ... put that in the FPGA too .... digital filtering. Memory ... if you can use SDRAM, leave it outside ... $1.25 to $2.00. Total cost < 10.00 + ADC.

What does it do? More information please. The mask set for a large mixed signal ASIC (0.35 micron) can cost about $275K. The engineering NRE ... depends. How many?

Solution 2: you can include a fast ADC and the DSP stuff in the ASIC above, no need for the fpga. 4Meg of ram is a lot to include, though .... will probably still be cheaper outside. ASIC Total cost (SWAG) $5.50 each @ 250K pcs / yr. Not including NRE and mask fees.

Just my own opinion.

Frank Raffaeli

Ken Smith wrote:

(LT1224), a

and

out

cheaper to

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

Imagine that you have a circuit involving about fast 8 op-amps (LT1224), a couple of fast comparitors (LT1016), about 10 discrete transistors and about 8 polse of filtering. How much are we talking to make an ASIC out this.

If we also have about 500 macrocells worth of CPLD, an 8051 or so and about 4Meg of fast RAM. All this runs at about 100MHz. Is it cheaper to make one ASIC or two.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Have you looked at the programmable analog parts from Cypress and Zetex ?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Do the comparators work faster than the clock ? Is the filter faster than the clock ? Do you need more dynamic range than say 8 bits ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

This is more or less the direction I've intended but I want to compare it with others. Converting the analog to digital is a bit of a problem. The extra prop. delay could be serious trouble for part of the system.

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. It is a secret that I really-really don't want to give away.

Not as many as you may think the ASIC is going to be expensive on a per unit basis, but other solutions are expensive too.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

[....]

Yes but they don't look to be exactly what we need. They may be part of a multiple chip solution though.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Rene Tschaggelar wrote: [...]

The delay through one of them must vary by less than 4nS.

I can't stand any cogging in the comparitor so it must not be synced to the clock edge unless the clock is very high. (About 10GHz)

Yes as things stand it is.

Yes, at least 16 bits looks to be needed. It may be more depending on how the quantization interacts with the rest of the system.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Hello Ken,

Consider Frank's ADC-DSP idea but use a fast and modern DSP with plenty of floating point horsepower, multiplier, leather seats and the whole nine yards. No FPGA. It might be able to do the filtering and stuff at an acceptable prop delay penalty. For cost reasons 4MB RAM might better be kept outside as an extra chip, at least for the time being.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I think this is coming down to the "find another way" result. It looks like the ASIC is out of the question. Maintaining an input to output delay that is stable with a DSP sounds tricky (hmmmm unless).

There can't be any beat between the harmonics of the input and the clock of the DSP. None = less than 0.0001 degrees RMS of phase jitter in a

500KHz signal. A fixed phase error can be about a degree without too much trouble.
kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

500KHz signal.

That corresponds to 0.55 picoseconds. That's achievable in at least some domains, but not knowing the real need it's starting to sound like specsmanship.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

0.55 picoseconds is a pretty good jitter figure for leading-edge technology telecom clocks. Typical rise and fall times for these pulses is of the order a few tens of picoseconds. Trying to do the same thing for a sine-shaped wave of 500kHz (which is a fall time of millions of picoseconds) is ludicrous. The noise on your noise on your noise will make this impossible.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

You can get an idea of the costs by checking the MPW prototyping prices at

or
depending on at which continent you reside. At larger quantities the per-chip costs are less. The direct links to the price lists are

One more site is

, but being french it may cause blisters to a certain fraction of US-based engineers.

The numbers in the above sites are fabrication only; you'll have to reserve some amount for layout and simulation; also for purchasing the IP blocks for the 8051 and opamps if you don't want to design them transistor-by-transistor. This may end up to be a larger sum than the fabrication cost. An example:

The readily-available blocks are no LT1224's either; you may have to do some searching to find suitable amp blocks. 8051's are often available as synthesizable cores for most mixed-signal processes.

I seem to recall that at some time some foundries used to offer some IP blocks as "GDS black boxes" for free. You would just add a black box with a predetermined size and contact locations on your layout and the foundry would fill the boxes with transistors etc. at the fabrication time. This way the foundries were able to make their bread out of the fabrication fees alone. But this may no longer be true in the greedy modern times.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Mikko Kiviranta

Hello Tim,

Plus exactly determining the number of clock cycles it takes to execute. Should be possible even on newer DSP. We have done that but it was with the old Analog Devices 2105 processors. These may look like a moped compared to today's rocket DSPs but one single clock cycle of skew would have thrown our whole Doppler detection off kilter. It didn't, operated like clockwork.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Remember that this is an RMS jitter (ie: short term) not the absolute error of the long term drift. The 0.0001 degrees number comes from the real requirements to match the system performance.

Now: what does "some domains" mean in this context.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Joerg wrote: [...]

Imagine you have a signal at 500.001KHz and you digitize it at 5MHz. When you digitize, you add distortion products and these will beat with the

5MHz and the waveforms slide past each other. When you are done with the DSPing, you are going to turn the signal back into analog. At this point more distortion products get added.
kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Mikko Kiviranta wrote: [...]

I can convert from 8051 to equivelent logic.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Hello Ken,

You'll need all the ADC bits money can buy. 16 bits would be possible at

5MSPS but it'll be expensive, probably above $30 plus lots of housekeeping.

Question: Why do you want to integrate this anyway? Space constraints? Cost?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

In article , Joerg wrote: [....]

$1000 each would not kill the idea. That would still make the ASIC less than 25% of the total cost of the current system. A lower price would be nicer.

This is one part of it.

This is not really an issue with the electronics a things stand.

Another reason is to help keep what we are doing a secret. I figure it will delay the other guys by more than a year. A small time operator won't have the ability to copy an ASIC.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

The current system involving op-amps and comparitors and stuff works. This means that in the band of interest[1] the RMS phase jitter is under

0.0002 degrees. Yes it is at the high end of what crystal oscillators will do[2]. I'm paying $350 for my oscillators. Some of the specs for the oscillator are much tighter than the specs of the telcom ones. [1] 0.001Hz to 1KHz from the "carrier" matters most [2] OCXOs will do it, TCXOs will not.
kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Hi Ken,

Ah, nice. I am usually at the other end of the spectrum, turning every dime a dozen times. Believe it or not, that is med electronics which used to be like your stuff where only performance mattered. Not anymore.

If somebody wanted it really bad they'd figure out the functions and precision and just hire a good analog engineer to design the innards from scratch. It will cause a delay but probably not much more than grinding off the part numbers in your current design would.

Sometimes a DSP solution can be harder to crack than an ASIC. Especially if it contains nifty algorithms that run internally and where the code can't be read back out.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg