is it possible? 1600W step-down transformer so tiny!

On 30 Mar 2006 11:39:13 -0800, "Tim Shoppa" Gave us:

Good answer!

There is certainly no transformer in that device!

It would be a very bad thing for electronic circuits with brains.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Auto-transformers are smaller than transformers because they use the same windings for primary and secondary. Iron sheet volume follows. The reverse effect is that there's no isolation.

"Slurp" a écrit dans le message news:

442c3f2f$0$70319$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...
1000W

they

Reply to
frischmoutt

The converter has no ground connection. The oven has a large metal case that normally is grounded. Running a oven with a large metal case without ground connection isnt exactly what i think of being perfectly safe, especially not when the line/ground voltage is twice of what it was made for.

Also, the oven states it has a automatical timer, which will not like being run off such a converter and will likely fail.

Reply to
Robert Obermayer

It doesn't have the standard UK plug for a start...

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My kettle is 240V 3000W. I use it for heating water.

Um let me see. aha 60A at 240V, that's um err 14400W.

And that's official.

Do you have a problem with that????

Reply to
Slurp

Really? My cooker is rated at 12500W, it has a 60A feed at 240V, quite normal in the UK

I did not say it wasn't.

Reply to
Slurp

Well, that's about the max total power I'm entitled to, at my place (more exactly, 3450 W).

Yes, that you probably read the _peak_ maximum current, not the max current that can be delivered in steady state. Mine says "15 (60) A", which means that it can provide 15 A in steady state, and peaks of 60 A. Forget about the peak specification, which is of no use in this dicussion, because a cooker needs continuous supply. Can you please go back to your energy meter and see if there's a smaller number next to the "60"?

Independently on what the actual capacity of your electric installation is, there's one funny thing here, and is that you called "more reasonable" to one single domestic appliance consuming 12.35 kW.

Reply to
Mochuelo

How can that be normal where you live if, as you say in another post, your energy meter is rated for a max of 60 A?

Reply to
Mochuelo

I may have missunderstood the meaning of "feed" here. Please ignore.

Ok, I may end up believing that you have access to 60 A @ 240 V. But I find it... surprising... that you guys use 12.5 kW cookers. That's a hell of power. And ok, even if that was the case, I could never call that "reasonable."

Best,

Reply to
Mochuelo

And either thermostat will turn them both off, and they definitely won't voltage-share properly, so it will blow up the control electronics in both.

IOW, a very very very bad idea.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You of all people should have spotted I was pulling the OPs leg!

Reply to
I.F.

Please download the brochure for my cooker if you wish.

Turn to page 32 for the specification for a Forum 317 cooker. The hotplates are 2 x 2kW and 2 x 1.5kW. The grill is 2kW,Main oven 1.8kw and 2nd oven

1.8kW. The cooker is rated at 12600W (oops I was 100W out). Granted the grill and 2nd oven may not be on at the same time, but cooking a sunday lunch for a family of 4 means the rest of the rating stands. My supply is rated at 60A continuous. This cooker and the supply are entirely representative of what is available in the UK.
Reply to
Slurp

On double insulated appliances maybe, definitely *not* on a cooker which is no doubt meant to be earthed. The robustness of the unit is secondary.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Maybe so, but I'm willing to bet you are in North America, *not* the UK, which is where the OP is based. Earthed metal bodied kitchen appliances like bench top cookers are commonplace here.

Different country, continent for that matter- different regulations to conform to.

dave

Reply to
Dave D

Aren't we talking a small portable cooker? A fullsized kitchen range is normally 50A in the US, but I thought we were discussing a single burner hotplate type thing or toaster oven?

Reply to
James Sweet

But isn't the cooker a NA model? Otherwise he wouldn't be needing a converter in the first place.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:28:54 +0200, "frischmoutt" Gave us:

The device he showed a pic of has NO transformer in it, you top posting, Usenet retard.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Any

like

Which of course leads to the obvious comment that it would be illegal to use in UK anyway, just in case someone thinks that's worth considering. Coroners do......

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Which leg? The hot or neutral? :)

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

I have a similar gadget here, which also says 1600W, and I opened it up. There is a big heatsink with a TO220 Triac(15A?) on it, a 18k 5W gate resistor and a small cap which has no marking. There is also a bimetall switch mounted on the heat sink with a heater where the load current runs thru. Me think this is quite smart for an over-temperature and over-current protection. I even used it to operate an American blender 50-s style, rated for 800W. In the upper speed ranges it was working very well, but that was all mechanical. If your oven has a small transformer in it for the electronic timer it will probably function as well. Another question is the safety. Without PE/earth the cooker is not considered safe in England, which might be of concern if there is an insurance event happening.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy